Crusade's over again

Started by Hannes, April 16, 2019, 03:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I revisited an older file to test the latest possibilities of the path tracer. Two of the riders have gone, I ran the rider/horse model through Poseray, since there were some normal problems, and I added a few things and reworked some textures.

Path tracer with the robust adaptive sampler,
Exaggerate surface detail on (Occlusion exaggeration 2)
Light exposure set to 1.85,
Contrast reduced to 0.15 and
Soft shadow samples set to 1 (this reduces rendertimes a lot!!!)

archonforest

Wow, what a difference. Looking great!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Hannes

Here is a small comparison. For the RT version I adjusted some settings to get a fair result.

Dune

That's fantastic! This is certainly a subject that benefits greatly. Btw. did you use a megascan surface for the path with branches? It looks really good.

mhaze

Terrific! The path and the veg are excellent as is the wonderfully textured knight.

Hannes

Thanks a lot, guys!

Quote from: Dune on April 16, 2019, 04:13:59 AM
Btw. did you use a megascan surface for the path with branches? It looks really good.

Yep, a free one:
https://quixel.com/assets/smspdebp

zaxxon

Great to see one of my all time favorite TG renders re-visited! Beautiful results Hannes.

sboerner

Beautiful! Love the detail in the tree bark and forest floor. All the small differences in the PT render add up to make the new render really come alive.

otakar

Wow. Thanks for bringing this back. Any chance you could do something with that branch and planar leaves in the top left corner? The rest is completely photo realistic.

DocCharly65

Wow! Usually I must admit that either I don't have the eyes to see or bad set up monitors to see much differences of RT and PT. But in this comparison it's obvious  - even for me!

DannyG

I always loved this render, Path tracer certainly gives this an additional punch
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

Once again I find myself longing for PT...great update/redo Hannes.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Thanks guys!!!
Here is the final one (for now... ;))
I added some ivy and reanchored some of the Quixel ground stuff to the last shader. It was connected to the compute terrain, so it was below the surface.
And many thanks to Otakar!! The ugly branch is gone. I deleted the appropriate instance (which was not easy to grab!). I think, it's much better like this, and the foreground in the lower left corner is lit by the sun now, which looks nice I'd say.

archonforest

What a beauty. Love the forest!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

otakar

Hell yeah! A true masterpiece. Let's see how it looks when printed :)