Terragen used in "The 100"??

Started by masonspappy, May 01, 2019, 05:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonspappy

Just curious - just saw the season premier of "The 100" and saw some scenes that made me wonder if Terragen was used?
Anyone know?

Oshyan

masonspappy

bobbystahr

thought so....just saw it last night...congrats TG
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

I've seen many of those TV shows and movies and kind of guessed that the landscapes were perhaps created in Terragen - they just had that familiar "look".  But it was never credited in any of them.  You guys are truly unsung heroes in filmdom!
They're all wasted!

Oshyan

Software companies unfortunately very seldom get that kind of credit. But in a rare exception we do have a credit at the end of LAIKA's "Missing Link" which came out recently! Very nice of those folks. :)

- Oshyan

SILENCER

I did some Terragen elements for last year's season finale over at Zoic. Some ship escaping a nuke, I believe. And a planet from space.

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on May 03, 2019, 01:50:04 PM
Software companies unfortunately very seldom get that kind of credit. But in a rare exception we do have a credit at the end of LAIKA's "Missing Link" which came out recently! Very nice of those folks. :)

- Oshyan

I remember in the late 90s and early 2000s visual effects companies and software companies were always toted at the end of films due to usually the specific feats they bring movies (take The Mummy for example), but that seems to have died out for production companies. It's almost some sort of wanting to protect their third party assets from being harassed during production or after for secrets/information. I have seen "fan projects" that have not only utilized actors, but visual effects veterans. Fan film community has suffered lots of blows because of general populous notice in this connected world.

Not sure what happened, I just remember seeing logos, even "specials thanks" in credits back in the day.

Oshyan

I think "back in the day" the hardware and software for doing VFX was a lot more rare and expensive, and often more customized. So it may have been more appropriate or made more sense to credit those companies. For example SGI (Silicon Graphics Incorporated) was at one time one of the *only* vendors of high-end VFX-appropriate workstations. Some of those companies may also have been making marketing deals to get their names into the credits, which is not really affordable for a small company. I don't know for sure what happened, but those are some theories/ideas.

- Oshyan