Dot to Comma

Started by sjefen, October 29, 2007, 05:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

I was playing off the American thing OB was talking about. just a harmless little joke.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Mr_Lamppost

Ok I did miss something  :)  I was taking things too literally and assuming that we were talking about numbers as actually used in TG.  After all your TGDs are just scripts (Open one in a text editor), accessed through a convenient user interface.

In theory it should be possible to write an entire planet using nothing more complex than Notepad. ;)

I have never come across a scripting language that accepts anything other than the full stop as the decimal point; the separator for lists of numbers / parameters varies but is most commonly the comma (TGD appears to relay on simple spacing).

The ability to accept regional variations would greatly complicate the process of generating / interpreting scripts, either the editor would have to translate to and from a common format or the script would need to contain some kind of region identification so the editor knew how to interpret it.  The second option could prove complicated if a script written in one region was to be modified by someone in a different region.  This would suggest that the adoption of a single standard would simplify things.  No doubt I will be shown loads of examples to the contrary but from what I have seen the standard is as I previously stated.

I didn't choose it: Queen Victoria is alive and well and working at the checkout next to Elvis and half the world is still pink.   ;D ;D

HTML drives me nuts making me leave the U out of colour and spelling centre center WRONG.  >:(   POV-Ray accepts colour with or without the U (U is included for the Canadians)?

I imagine that accents or other "Extended character sets" will always cause problems as there is littler or no standardisation in which or how they are used..

Arabic: No offence, I know that it predates all our "Western languages" but it's just squiggles to me   :-[

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Cyber-Angel

At the vary least Terragen should use the ISO and Unicode Standards for its UI Language Set if it should be translated into other languages for ideas about which to consider translations for this site lists the to 30 http://www.vistawide.com/languages/top_30_languages.htm as of 2005.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

Will

we need are own language: Terrian (pronounced Tear-rian)

sjefen

I don't understand why Terragen need you to use the right language. I can understand the little thing about the dot and comma, but for the language, why not make it so we can name our shaders, or nodes whatever we like? Why does Terragen have to understand what i just named my shader?

Anyways.... it's only the dot and comma thing that is torturing me :)
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Will

and thus the ";" was born! A perfect mixture of dot and comma.

jo

Hi,

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on October 30, 2007, 09:50:03 PM
The ability to accept regional variations would greatly complicate the process of generating / interpreting scripts, either the editor would have to translate to and from a common format or the script would need to contain some kind of region identification so the editor knew how to interpret it.  The second option could prove complicated if a script written in one region was to be modified by someone in a different region.  This would suggest that the adoption of a single standard would simplify things.  No doubt I will be shown loads of examples to the contrary but from what I have seen the standard is as I previously stated.

Any conversion to and from locale specific number formatting would only take place in the user interface. It's a display issue. The only acceptable format for values in text based files created or read by TG2 would be using a "." for the decimal separator.

Regards,

Jo

Mr_Lamppost

Cheers Jo

I think I said that in a round about kind of way

The point about supporting ISO and Unicode Standards is probably valid.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.