fireplace

Started by Dune, May 14, 2019, 02:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Fake stones and glowing embers, to be put in a Stone Age encampment.

archonforest

Very nice!!
I miss some yellowish color in the fire to represent different temperatures.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

N-drju

Nice job. Especially given how hard it generally is to create fire and burning objects in TG.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Hannes

Quote from: archonforest on May 14, 2019, 03:55:00 AM

That's right. And maybe a lightsource (only illuminating the atmosphere) to make the smoke glow a bit directly above the embers.

Otherwise great!!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on May 14, 2019, 06:49:17 AM
Quote from: archonforest on May 14, 2019, 03:55:00 AM

That's right. And maybe a lightsource (only illuminating the atmosphere) to make the smoke glow a bit directly above the embers.

Otherwise great!!

ditto and as a nit pick that's more of a fire pit than place although it is the place where the fire is heh heh.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

Well it's a fine start, knowing that getting a light source to behave correctly to represent glowing coals is none too easy.  I could tell you what needs to be done, but sure as heck couldn't tell you how.
They're all wasted!

René

The atmosphere is good and it is a low fire that is usually reddish in color. A few flying sparks would be nice. :)

N-drju

Quote from: René on May 15, 2019, 04:27:22 AM
The atmosphere is good and it is a low fire that is usually reddish in color. A few flying sparks would be nice. :)

This could even be done with a population of a few minuscule, free-floating spheres with a strong luminosity value.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

DocCharly65

Really good start!
I agree with the other to add some (minor) yellow glow and some illumination of the smoke.

Dune

Thanks for your comments, guys. I did some more work on it. PT version is a bit dull and not too nice. Sun is too low anyway, and the ambient occlusion makes it very flat. The normal render with sun at maybe 5º (and GI) is better. The 'logs' are just procedural displacements (stretched and rotated, mixed) with glow added. I used a displacement to scalar to restrict bluish ashes a bit to the bottom area, used a color adjust to add some yellow to the centers of the red glow. It struck me that with a line of surface shaders, the second (yellow) glow overrides the first (making the red almost dissappear), so I used a merge shader to add.

bobbystahr

now we're talking...those last 2 rock Ulco.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Dune's magic in action! Great improvement.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Hannes

Great!! The glow looks a bit greenish on my monitor though.

Dune

That might be the mix of bluish ashes and yellow glow. I may have to separate those. Thanks.

Jonathan

I think it is a great image - only thing to add is it would be nice to see him cooking a rabbit on a spit above the fire ;)
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!