Planet Pig

Started by efflux, October 30, 2007, 03:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

If any of you have ever seen Slav's Mojoworld work you will often see heads and faces and creatures of all sorts coming out the rocks. His work is great and inspires me a lot.

Volker Harun

I really like both pictures, the second really fascinates me! Good work!

efflux

Thanks.

I tweaked the planet a bit. You will notice the second render is warmer in colour. This is not just because of the low sun but also because I altered the sun colour. It looks cooler in high sun as well. Also, I changed the green areas a bit. It's begging for water now because it has almost beach like areas. I have some more small test renders that are worth rendering to full so you may be sick of seeing this planet soon. The voronoi work seems to have created a planet with endless variety and POVs. The techniques on the voronoi thread are a goldmine.

rcallicotte

Not sick.  More, please.

I agree about the goldmine.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

efflux

To tell you the truth I've got sick looking at it. I have some other POVs like this:

I like the wide format and was going to render this out bigger but I'm bored with this planet. I could render this out big but I'm thinking my next step will be to bring the towers back but with more natural looking settings and use the more interesting surfaces and more natural environments. Like rock sculptures.

I should also show some WIPs of the Sine Clones planet although it's out of context with this thread. It's now abandoned. It got out of hand. This was meant to be the wildest thing ever but got horrendously complicated with about 500 nodes. These shots show some of the elements:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7286/sinesclones1hf4.jpg

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/4923/sinesclones2ve1.jpg

I don't want to make to much of this now, starting a new thread or anything. The Sine Clones project is ditched but I may resurrect some elements of it.

Actually, I've stopped with TG2 at the moment. My ideas are just future things to do.

rcallicotte

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!   :D

500 nodes and this looks awesome!  LOL  Cool.

efflux

There were so many nodes with internal networks that when I opened a right click menu in the graph to add nodes (which you need if you're using internal networks) my PC just crashed. My Mac carried on but I got sick of it. Way too ambitious. I didn't show anything from this before because I wanted the impact of a first finished render. The techniques are all based around the things I described in my Planet Spinner post about how I used sines in that planet and the spires thread. Except the majority of the work was being done with sine nodes. It's nothing new and I used a load of those colour gradient hacks but the complexity got absurd. The thing is, some of the techniques discussed in the voronoi thread could be useful for this as well. I need to start it fresh some time in the future.

rcallicotte

I can feel the craving.   ;D

Anything you want to let us learn from you is fine with me.  I'm still experimenting with the voronoi ideas you and Volker gave us.  So this is great, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote from: efflux on November 01, 2007, 10:01:07 AM
I need to start it fresh some time in the future.

efflux

The beauty is that even when you abandon something it's all procedural anyway so you just recycle it all. It doesn't matter. You just change a few surfaces and you're onto a new planet. No time is really wasted.

I just tried hooking altitude into a perlin node and you can drive smooth steps in the terrain this way. Just the same as you can in Mojo. This has huge implications. Now I'm thinking of functions to control the stepping or using voronoi. It just goes on and on. This app is fatal when you have other stuff to do. Every time you open it, even to just render something you find something new.

efflux

Check this out:

Like I said, altitude driven perlin. We can now do to the strata and outcrops shader what we did to the fake stone shader but ten times over. With some distortions and maths functions similar to what we used to destroy the fake stones shader on the voronoi thread, we can now take strata effects into the stratosphere. The strata and outcrops maybe uses voronoi but whatever it uses, those sharp edges are not always desirable.

TG2 is near complete Mojofication now, at least as far as it can go. Shame we don't have more basis functions.

This'll be hell with those shadows, if we try to use extremes like this but my idea is to blend this stuff with TG2's realistic aspects.

Some scale distortions:

This is what's known as strata and outcrops on acid.

This is the wildest one yet folks. Forget voronoi or spire threads. They haven't a look in on this one.

He he, just warming up. Insane possibilities with this one. No more time though.

efflux

Here's a graph:

The displacement shader is set to lateral only displacement direction. Plug this into a surface layers child layer. Play with the constant scalar value and displacement multiplier. You should get the results from the first image.

efflux

I don't think this was explained on the voronoi thread, but to distort scale using a power fractal, i.e. plugging it into scale on the Perlin, you are also using colour from the power fractal so you can just ignore the 0-1 colour setting. You can set this to higher values and not have it clamped. You'll just have to play with that to see what happens.

child@play

again, very cool and on the edge stuff, keep it up
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

sjefen

I really like the second one. Special stuff you got here ;)
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB