Planet Pig

Started by efflux, October 30, 2007, 03:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogn

Efflux I think that the perlin noise function must have a vector as input, to have any influence. Pressing The noise function twice only shows a grey mini previev.

efflux

We're not really using it as intended but then again TG2 allows what we are doing so we can hook things up in unexpected ways. We are only using the perlin to attain a profile for the strata and all we need is an altitude value for position but the preview window will expect a vector I guess and as is can't really display the effects of the perlin. You can hook in other functions such as voronoi instead of perlin or attach a scalar to change the noise or do as I did (in the initial planet on this thread) and hook in a get position in geometry. Then you'll get a preview but of course you don't have the strata effect. If you change the perlin 3D scalar for a voronoi 3D scalar then you'll see the strata steps attain a voronoi profile rather than perlin. You'll see it's sharper edges. You could use a bunch of maths functions like we did on the voronoi thread to alter the strata profile.

The ideal thing would be to have a changeable positioning input or a choice within the UI of the power fractal then we could do this easily with just one powerfractal node or at least get the strata that way. We'd still need a distorting fractal.

efflux

The voronoi can be quite cool actually. Anyone here experimenting can try what I described above. Change the perlin 3D scalar for a voronoi 3D scalar and also try plugging a get position in geometry into the perlin (or voronoi) instead of altitude then you'll have the basic set up for achieving what I did on the initial planet.

efflux

I rendered that smaller image previewed earlier to bigger size. 4000 x 500. There were some minor tweaks so it looks a little different. This will probably be my last image for a while unless I just render more from this planet but no new planets.

http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/media/folder_156/file_1556551.jpg

rcallicotte

OMG

I'm so envious of your knowledge.  Brilliant work!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?