Treasure island

Started by Hannes, May 18, 2019, 05:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

This actually started as a test for texturing the ground. Then I kitbashed the trees in the foreground by using a nice tree trunk and main branches of a free tree model (deleted ugly smaller branches and leaves), and used some nice branch/leaves clusters of another free tree model (deleted the ugly trunk), and created a particle system in 3ds Max using the main branches as particle emitter and the clusters as particle instances. Thus I got a nice lush tree (there are some weird connections, but they aren't visible I hope...). Eventually I thought, the leaves are still too big (happens quite often with 3d tree models), and so I used my own triple leaves texture, which reduced the scale (and increased the number!) of the leaves by a factor of three.
I found some nice character models, retextured them and ran most of the models through Mixamo to pose them.

I had to cheat a bit, since the path tracer still does not render water transparency, so I rendered the area with the water with the legacy (RT) sampler and put it together in Photoshop.

archonforest

Very nice. Like the atmo. Woud be nice a to see a version with only the ship on in plus nature.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Quirky and exquisite lighting!

DocCharly65

Really good lighting and a quite mysterious and adventure ambience! Great!

sboerner

Strange and wonderful. Nice use of a long lens + haze to frame and give a sense of depth. Looks like a painting, in a good way. (And the zombies are pretty cool too.)

WAS

Wonderful scene Hannes, very "animated" for a still, if that makes sense.

Great work.

Hannes

Asterlil

This is really really good -- it reminds me of those classic Treasure Island illustrations by N. C. Wyeth.

Oshyan

I too love the lighting, the glow of the leaves and general back lighting in particular.

- Oshyan

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

masonspappy

Nicely done!. Lots of different elements brought together to make a cool picture!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on May 18, 2019, 07:23:39 AM
Quirky and exquisite lighting!

Hear! Hear! And really well done on the kit bashed tree...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

otakar

Wow, this must have been tons of work to put together. Lots of detail. Really nice.

Hannes

Thanks again!! Yes, this took a while, but it's great fun to gather all these things (not knowing where this leads to in the beginning).

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on May 20, 2019, 04:09:01 AM
Thanks again!! Yes, this took a while, but it's great fun to gather all these things (not knowing where this leads to in the beginning).

Hope you don't mind but it's my current desktop...a real R L Stevenson fan as a kid...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist