simple 3d software to view obj?

Started by Dune, February 01, 2023, 05:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Does anyone know of a (preferably free or cheap, and very easy for noobs) software to view a terrain, or obj file? I know there are a few, but I need one (a client asked about it) where you can move a camera in a simple scene and look around from different locations. The scene would comprise some very basic volumes (like boxes or spheres) for houses, trees, that sort of stuff.

KlausK

Why not use the free Terragen?
Always the most recent version, you do not need to change the tgd, and you can move around...

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Yes, crossed my mind, but the people who need to 'operate' it should not be blown away by possibilities. It should be extremely simple; open/import terrain with some balls and blocks, pick a point and look around from there. For toddlers, so to speak  ;D

KlausK

Hm, I think that even the most simple "pick a point and look around from there" would require some sort of engine and a 3D space paradigm.
If you say terrain do you mean a Terragen terrain? Since no other software than TG can read tgd files you`d export them as obj?
Combining everything you need in the scene in 1 obj would at least let the clients look at the asset in 3D space with a obj viewer.
You`d have to use LightWave for that, for example.
If TG could export a full fbx file that would be the way to to. There are free fbx viewers out there.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

I was indeed thinking of exporting (or making) a simple ground object (obj), and some very basic assets, put them all together in one obj and use some viewer for the guy to look around from where he wants. With a simple obj viewer it is only possible to look at the whole, but it needs a way to put a viewpoint somewhere and for instance see if the view from there is inhibited by some house, raised ground or trees...
I think it's pretty hard actually.

masonspappy

I've used the 3D viewer that comes with Windows 10 to view OBJ files. For a "quick and dirty" look at an OBJ file it works ok.

KlausK

Oh, I got one: VRML97 ;D
Remember that? The first interactive reality.
LightWave can still export a scene to that format. You can move freely through the vrml scene, set viewpoints to jump to etc.
Easy and fast to setup in LightWave with your importyed or selfmade models. Very easy to use for not complex scenes.

You need some kind of viewer to load the vrml (wrl) files, though.
Cortana3D is a free viewer and runs in the old Internet Explorer. Maybe also in new browsers, no idea.

There are scene viewers in the CAD world, but often pricey. And file formats are not what you are working with, mostly.
The next best thing would be a free Game Engine. Or even Blender.
Maybe there are web-based/ browser-based viewers to work with. But it always comes down to the file format you need.

Or set up a TG scene with key frames to jump to...but that is of course not interactive.

Or...I am out of ideas ::) Good luck!

CHeers, Klaus

WAS

Dune

Thanks Klaus, I'll tell the guy to look at that option. He was also talking about GIS solutions, but it's actually his problem, so I'll take my hands off it for now.

@WAS : I know, but I need a simple 'game engine' so to speak, as explained, more than a one-camera-viewer.

WAS

In that case, use NDunes. It's a real time object viewer basically with shaders.

Can be as simple or elaborate as you want. 

Dune

Thanks Jordan. But I've worked in NDunes, and it's not that simple for a 3D-noob. And copying a TG scene into NDunes, mmmm, I wish it were that easy.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on February 04, 2023, 03:11:36 AMThanks Jordan. But I've worked in NDunes, and it's not that simple for a 3D-noob. And copying a TG scene into NDunes, mmm
If you're trying to copy a whole terragen scene into a viewer, you're probably going to have to just go Blender or another DCC to actually competently handle the complexities of the topology. Just viewing an exported terrain in Windows 3D Viewer or NDunes isn't really possible real-time, and 3D Viewer crashes. Need something that actually dynamically handles the view and isn't trying to plaster every single poly on screen.

Dune

Right, so it ain't easy, and I'm probably giving up. It's not a major issue anyway (won't hit my wallet).