About RTP

Started by WAS, June 05, 2019, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Quote from: WASasquatch on June 13, 2019, 03:13:15 PM
Quote from: cyphyr on June 13, 2019, 02:54:16 PM
Are you measuring until the render is finished?
Because I never wait that long for either RTP or standard.

As noted over and over, quality is my concern, the whole point of actual renders. The RTP doesn't help with this process in it's current form. The basic previews locations of shadows and lighting is an approximation enough, the RTP doesn't help with actual cloud settings of density, and shapes within shadows to a real helpful degree, agian where you might as well just render a crop or full render, which will be quicker than the RTP iterations to completion (to a relative higher quality state), but again the difference is so negligible to the actual final product it's of no real help, especially outside of clouds. Expecting users to not use a feature to completion because of an opinion of just stopping it when you are satisfied is not conducive with the technical side and development, and especially other people where opinions are subjective.

We seem to be going round in circles here .
Quality is your concern, it's not mine. Does that invalidate my opinion?
My concern is getting a rough approximation, which in my experience RTP does quicker that standard preview. Does that invalidate your opinion?
Given that we are using previews (both RTP and standard) for entirely different purposes it would seem unlikely that we will find common ground.

My current commission has over a hundred populations covering almost every visible surface in it and RTP can show me a a preview of anywhere on the camera path in a matter of seconds that is good enough to work from (and that is all I need). The standard preview just keels over and plays dead.
It's no more an opinion that it is working and useful to me than it is an opinion that it is not working as you would like for you.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on June 13, 2019, 03:55:24 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on June 13, 2019, 03:13:15 PM
Quote from: cyphyr on June 13, 2019, 02:54:16 PM
Are you measuring until the render is finished?
Because I never wait that long for either RTP or standard.

As noted over and over, quality is my concern, the whole point of actual renders. The RTP doesn't help with this process in it's current form. The basic previews locations of shadows and lighting is an approximation enough, the RTP doesn't help with actual cloud settings of density, and shapes within shadows to a real helpful degree, agian where you might as well just render a crop or full render, which will be quicker than the RTP iterations to completion (to a relative higher quality state), but again the difference is so negligible to the actual final product it's of no real help, especially outside of clouds. Expecting users to not use a feature to completion because of an opinion of just stopping it when you are satisfied is not conducive with the technical side and development, and especially other people where opinions are subjective.

We seem to be going round in circles here .
Quality is your concern, it's not mine. Does that invalidate my opinion?
My concern is getting a rough approximation, which in my experience RTP does quicker that standard preview. Does that invalidate your opinion?
Given that we are using previews (both RTP and standard) for entirely different purposes it would seem unlikely that we will find common ground.

My current commission has over a hundred populations covering almost every visible surface in it and RTP can show me a a preview of anywhere on the camera path in a matter of seconds that is good enough to work from (and that is all I need). The standard preview just keels over and plays dead.
It's no more an opinion that it is working and useful to me than it is an opinion that it is not working as you would like for you.

There inherent goal of that closer approximation is through higher quality. I'm not sure what you're not understanding. There is already a rough approximation with the standard preview and added HD preview.

The goal of the RTP was not clouds, that's from the get go, but it seems the only real use if clouds, and object lighting I guess, but these are very exclusive items to the Terragen feature set, let alone it's intended goal in Terrain Generation.

Yes, you can move the camera with a population and some clouds. Is that it's goal? No, it's not. If you're actually working with your scene, making adjustments, than you're going to have to be regenerating that RTP. Terrain is the biggest thing in Terragen, though with V3 there seems to be a huuuge fad with clouds. That's great, we needed better clouds, but like holy crap. Lol

And yes we are going round and round, and it is because of subjective opinions and not a technical idea of the fundamentals of the system. I've said more than enough on the topic.