Perlin Vector / Perlin Cell Colour

Started by WAS, June 25, 2019, 01:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

This would be a great addition the noise tabs like the smooth perlin noise that's available now. They can be used extensively for naturalized masking of shaders through single seed that influence each other within the noise. Using the Convert R/G/B to Scalar can give you masks based off each channel within the same seed. The smooth noise can than be further manipulated with a colour adjust.

Additionally the smooth noise and channel selecting abilities from the same seed would be great for displacement work as well.

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on June 25, 2019, 03:12:19 PM
What is a Perlin Cell Colour?

It doesn't exit. I'm using the "Voronoi Cell Colour" as an example. It'd be nice to have these variants in soft 3 channel perlin.

Matt

OK. The way I would implement this is with 3 Perlin noises with different seeds. This means you can do the same thing with a set of 3 Perlin nodes, and add a different offset to each seed that is fed into the Perlin nodes.

Matt

I forgot to say that the reason there is a prebuilt version of this for the Voronoi functions is because you can't achieve this the same way with Voronoi, because it would change the shapes of the cells.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on June 25, 2019, 04:38:56 PM
I forgot to say that the reason there is a prebuilt version of this for the Voronoi functions is because you can't achieve this the same way with Voronoi, because it would change the shapes of the cells.

That makes sense, and thanks for the advise. Was just trying to think of a way to use a single perlin but being able to get specific data from it like you can with the vectorized voronoi versions, without all the extra function work of course. The channel breakups can be used in populations and colour shading to do some mixing for some pretty interesting results. I did that with some PF normalizing in a share for the advanced colour shading topic in images.

WAS

Also, is it possible to get non uniform Voronoi? Voronoi which is much more random in it's shapes? Take a look at these voronoi cells generated in illustrator.

Dune

Using a pf instead of a constant scalar for size.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on June 27, 2019, 04:09:26 AM
Using a pf instead of a constant scalar for size.

Oh, I didn't even think of that. Thanks Ulco.

WAS

I also noticed when using a PF to randomize voronoi if you use world position it warps everything into wave lines, and if you edit the voronoi it all warps too (like a fractal warp to make the lines irregular). So it's not really a usable method but for the base voronoi shader without any alteration