Help please!

Started by René, July 02, 2019, 09:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

Well, what do you know! I've flipped the image along the y axis and it works. I still don't understand why it works in your case, so I have to do something wrong. Ah well, at least I can move on.
Thanks again!

Dune

Yeah, sometimes TG makes your mind twist in weird turns  ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on July 03, 2019, 11:24:11 AM
Yeah, sometimes TG makes your mind twist in weird turns  ;)

Well said....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: Dune on July 03, 2019, 05:24:11 AM
And after having added some fake stones.

So, to summarize, you are using the AO map provided by the PBR as a crevice mask?

Matt

To align the displacement with the colour, you need to let it use texture coordinates. If you enable "use world position" in a transform shader, the colour will use the final world position but this doesn't affect the displacement in the same way, so they become misaligned. The displacement will use whatever texture coordinates were last set in the chain of shaders above it. To produce alignment, both displacement and colour need to use a shared set of texture coordinates which are set by the "Compute Terrain" or "Tex Coords From XYZ" node.

Even when there is alignment the textures might be distorted. If this happens I would suggest adding a "Tex Coords From XYZ" node right before the shaders you are applying. This will update the texture coordinates to the current world position at that stage in the network.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Indeed, as I said earlier. I use the XYZ shader a lot of times for that purpose. Even as input for fake stones.

And yes, rightly summarized, WAS.

René

Thanks for the explanation. Something so simple and I didn't know it. I wonder how many other simple, Terragen-related things there are that I don't know.  :-\
I'm going to rework everything and see what it leads to.

mhaze

Thank goodness for these forums...

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

I have a similar problem where masking wasn't aligning, but I was using a XYZ after the displacements for the surface shader. It boggled my mind. I tried everything including piping the mask through the displacements shaders rather than straight from the SSS, but no go... than I tried world position, no go, so I unchecked it... than suddenly, it matched up... just with with the Transform input shader with no settings or world position checked... I don't get it. What does a Transform input shader do when nothing is checked, that would fix this?