Author Topic: Terragen 4 crashes at end of render when rendering 360 sky  (Read 233 times)

Offline Oshyan

• Planetside Staff
  • Holy snagging ducks!
Re: Terragen 4 crashes at end of render when rendering 360 sky
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 07:21:15 AM »
Those are compressed formats (although TIFF has non-compressed modes as well). As far as I'm aware *in memory* image data is not compressed in Terragen. As a good example of this if you load a 2000x2000 pixel JPG image with an Image Map Shader, it could be a mere 1MB on disk, but it will be represented in memory (for Terragen as a renderer) by uncompressed RGB values. 4 million pixels, 24 bits per pixel, 12 million bytes, so about 11.5MB *uncompressed*.

Terragen outputs EXR with compression, and TIFF with optional compression. But again that is when saving to an on-disk format. *In memory* compression is not used. Matt will correct me if I'm wrong. :D

- Oshyan

Offline Matt

• Planetside Staff
  • I'm the crazy one
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 09:29:43 AM »
The -cropoutput command line option uses less memory for cropped renders, so this is worth trying. But it's not just for command line rendering. You can use it with the GUI. If you go to a command line window or console window and run Terragen with -cropoutput somewhere in the command line, you can use the full GUI as normal. Or create a shortcut with this added to the command line options.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Offline WASasquatch

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2019, 09:33:43 AM »
The -cropoutput command line option uses less memory for cropped renders, so this is worth trying. But it's not just for command line rendering. You can use it with the GUI. If you go to a command line window or console window and run Terragen with -cropoutput somewhere in the command line, you can use the full GUI as normal. Or create a shortcut with this added to the command line options.

Handy information! I am going to add a shortcut with the command. May come in handy. Thanks for that information.

Offline DannyG

• New World Digital Art
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2019, 03:39:27 PM »
Btw Danny, Defer Atmo doesn't really use more memory to render for equivalent quality levels. At least not in my tests. It does sometimes take longer to render vs. without, but the situations where that's true are fewer and fewer, especially with v3 clouds, and as the renderer has been optimized further since Defer Atmo's introduction.
- Oshyan
Understood, I did not say it did. I said it is heavy on your system. I should have been more clear. Totally agree defer has been optimized big time since the transition from "raytraced". Honestly it is still very heavy on my CPU. If I have heavy clouds in a scene I do not use it at all. The difference in time is est 1/3 less without defer. Yes I tweak samples and crop with defer, it just seems as soon as you enable it your CPU is running up a steep hill. This is a blanket statement of course. Every scene is different.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 03:41:27 PM by DannyG »

anything