Terragen 4 crashes at end of render when rendering 360 sky

Started by jlipstock, July 03, 2019, 06:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Those are compressed formats (although TIFF has non-compressed modes as well). As far as I'm aware *in memory* image data is not compressed in Terragen. As a good example of this if you load a 2000x2000 pixel JPG image with an Image Map Shader, it could be a mere 1MB on disk, but it will be represented in memory (for Terragen as a renderer) by uncompressed RGB values. 4 million pixels, 24 bits per pixel, 12 million bytes, so about 11.5MB *uncompressed*.

Terragen outputs EXR with compression, and TIFF with optional compression. But again that is when saving to an on-disk format. *In memory* compression is not used. Matt will correct me if I'm wrong. :D

- Oshyan

Matt

The -cropoutput command line option uses less memory for cropped renders, so this is worth trying. But it's not just for command line rendering. You can use it with the GUI. If you go to a command line window or console window and run Terragen with -cropoutput somewhere in the command line, you can use the full GUI as normal. Or create a shortcut with this added to the command line options.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on July 05, 2019, 05:29:43 AM
The -cropoutput command line option uses less memory for cropped renders, so this is worth trying. But it's not just for command line rendering. You can use it with the GUI. If you go to a command line window or console window and run Terragen with -cropoutput somewhere in the command line, you can use the full GUI as normal. Or create a shortcut with this added to the command line options.

Handy information! I am going to add a shortcut with the command. May come in handy. Thanks for that information.

DannyG

Quote from: Oshyan on July 04, 2019, 09:18:27 PM
Btw Danny, Defer Atmo doesn't really use more memory to render for equivalent quality levels. At least not in my tests. It does sometimes take longer to render vs. without, but the situations where that's true are fewer and fewer, especially with v3 clouds, and as the renderer has been optimized further since Defer Atmo's introduction.
- Oshyan
Understood, I did not say it did. I said it is heavy on your system. I should have been more clear. Totally agree defer has been optimized big time since the transition from "raytraced". Honestly it is still very heavy on my CPU. If I have heavy clouds in a scene I do not use it at all. The difference in time is est 1/3 less without defer. Yes I tweak samples and crop with defer, it just seems as soon as you enable it your CPU is running up a steep hill. This is a blanket statement of course. Every scene is different.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I would like to add to this discussion with a related point but not exactly the same thing, but it's important to know about it.  Sometimes Terragen will appear to be finishing a render, or it might have already finished and POOF it goes waay (crash).  When this happens to me it's not a memory issue because I have 128GB and never see my memory going much over 64GB of use. 

What I suspect is because I don't always pause the RTP it will start back up after my renders finish, and if RTP runs into a bug somewhere while refining it could cause a crash.  I suspect this because I do get my render frames saved, but when I come back to my PC and check Terragen is not running.  Of course I get scared, and check to see if my frames were saved and they were.  So even if Terragen crashes, always check to see if your frames were saved.

There is also an option in Preferences (File Saving) to save all renders even if you don't chose "Render All to Disk" or "Render sequence" from the Render Panel.

-Derek

WAS

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on July 19, 2019, 04:03:47 PM
I would like to add to this discussion with a related point but not exactly the same thing, but it's important to know about it.  Sometimes Terragen will appear to be finishing a render, or it might have already finished and POOF it goes waay (crash).  When this happens to me it's not a memory issue because I have 128GB and never see my memory going much over 64GB of use. 

What I suspect is because I don't always pause the RTP it will start back up after my renders finish, and if RTP runs into a bug somewhere while refining it could cause a crash.  I suspect this because I do get my render frames saved, but when I come back to my PC and check Terragen is not running.  Of course I get scared, and check to see if my frames were saved and they were.  So even if Terragen crashes, always check to see if your frames were saved.

There is also an option in Preferences (File Saving) to save all renders even if you don't chose "Render All to Disk" or "Render sequence" from the Render Panel.

-Derek

That's a good note. You may want to check your windows logs after this happens and look for what error tgd.exe encountered. I'm going to try and start logging these when I find them. 

You can view the logs under Event Viewer, under Windows Logs -> Applications. You can than Ctrl + F and search tgd.exe and try and narrow things down. You'll have access to the type of error, where it occurred, and dumps that can be used to help diagnose issues.

Here's an example log of the most recent terragen crash I had:

Quote from: Application LogsFault bucket 1935929454206262490, type 5
Event Name: FaultTolerantHeap
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: tgd.exe
P2: 4.3.23.0
P3: 5C563A10
P4: ffffbaad
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\Windows\SERVIC~3\LOCALS~1\AppData\Local\Temp\FTHA2F3.tmp\fthempty.txt
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA333.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA538.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA545.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA585.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 2e173674-475e-4460-854b-da1b75244bff
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 29ddb3a5f5c64a6e4addcd94e42e1cda
Cab Guid: 0

And a critical error:
Quote from: Application LogsFaulting application name: tgd.exe, version: 4.3.23.0, time stamp: 0x5c563a10
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.799, time stamp: 0x7f828745
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f479b
Faulting process id: 0x2a68
Faulting application start time: 0x01d53dc5fc21846a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Planetside Software\Terragen 4\tgd.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: a7ea3a24-a2bb-4291-81b9-eb554818c2cf
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

No dumps are found with these bad errors, and I guess that may be because windows killed the process.