Folds mask?

Started by WAS, July 06, 2019, 06:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Anyone know how one could create a mask from displacement based on the folds it has? I'm not to good with the sine stuff yet so haven't really figured out how to get it to work for me on my own lol

I tried maximum and minimum slopes but could only get flats.

Tried a inverted scalar.

Tried a vector R and B maps mixed.

I'm at a loss lol

Take a look at this basic lava mound... how would one go about creating a glow for the folds as is it's oozing along in layers?

Dune

I'd say two choices; either make all displacements from color, so you already have your base mask, or calculate the difference between the basic glow layer and the hard crust displacing out over it.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on July 07, 2019, 02:18:35 AM
I'd say two choices; either make all displacements from color, so you already have your base mask, or calculate the difference between the basic glow layer and the hard crust displacing out over it.

Could you explain that second option a little further? From what I gather you mean have the Basse glow before the stone shader, and than try to colour only displacement so hopefully the folds.glow from under?.

Dune

Yes, that's actually what I mean.

KirillK

It's pretty easy to do in something like Substance designer.   Most quick way is to turn displacement into normal map and then normal map into curvature map.  It just has a ready nodes for that.

I also use hi-pass  to turn depth into curvature map.   You could try it in Photoshop  too with hi pass filter .

But I am not much of a deep math Terragen user to recreate this all in Terragen itself with its math nodes although I am sure it's totally possible.    I usually just import a texture back.

Games are using screen space AOVs  like normal pass and AO pass  to build such masks  sometimes but I also have no idea how to do it in Terragen

WAS

Quote from: KirillK on July 08, 2019, 11:12:08 AM
It's pretty easy to do in something like Substance designer.   Most quick way is to turn displacement into normal map and then normal map into curvature map.  It just has a ready nodes for that.

I also use hi-pass  to turn depth into curvature map.   You could try it in Photoshop  too with hi pass filter .

But I am not much of a deep math Terragen user to recreate this all in Terragen itself with its math nodes although I am sure it's totally possible.    I usually just import a texture back.

Games are using screen space AOVs  like normal pass and AO pass  to build such masks  sometimes but I also have no idea how to do it in Terragen

Yeah substance designer has really powerful fractal maps and masks. Wish TG had some new options like this to create powerful procedurals with little less work.

I think like Ulco mentioned the only real way to get by this is rebuild it all using a sin. I'd than have my map in colour.

WAS

Some testing of a sin setup. Works alright, I'm not satisfied with the shapes. I think my sin is leaning inwards towards the center instead of outwards. I remember there was a way to do these lines but I need to dig through posts. Unfortunately requires a pretty heavy node network so clutter is going to be fun. Lol

Oshyan

Hah, looks really cool though. :D

- Oshyan

WAS

Thanks Oshyan. Due to the nature of the sin with displacement it's probably best used at the "ends" of a lava river (i mean that's where you'd get the effect IRL anyway). I'm going to try to put together another flows similar to the last scene but more head on coming down a hill mixing both times of flows, the sin flows and normal broken up warped flows.