My Dream Home

Started by Asterlil, July 16, 2019, 02:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asterlil

This is my third project, continuing my beginner chronicles. The landscaping is a work in progress. Critique welcome.

The  interior shot is an experiment; I decided to create an external shot to use as a composite background so that I can do more with the interior, and I'll post that as soon as I teach myself compositing! But Terragen did very well by the fabric pattern. :)

bobbystahr

well done, the interior shot is very effective
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Asterlil

Thank you! I found it very difficult, though, to position objects inside other objects. If I right-click on a place on the floor of the room, Terragen understands this as a copy of coordinates on the surface of the terrain beyond the object...

DocCharly65

Quote from: bobbystahr on July 16, 2019, 10:26:07 AM

dito :)

Just keep playing around with all buttons (but keep e copy for safety ;) )
E.g. you could change the brightness of the plant's textures. They look a bit extreme bright. test translucency... and million other things.

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on July 16, 2019, 02:33:32 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on July 16, 2019, 10:26:07 AM

dito :)

Just keep playing around with all buttons (but keep e copy for safety ;) )
E.g. you could change the brightness of the plant's textures. They look a bit extreme bright. test translucency... and million other things.

There is so much you can do in TG it's pretty gun to just play around.

The texture look may come from too extremes of translucency which are killing shadowing. The pine/douglas trees seem to be lacking shading.

Asterlil

Sorry for the delay in acknowledging the critique, and thanks. I'm deep in both TG and Blender, trying to learn about the nodes and compositing, respectively.  :o

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

Asterlil

External view rendered in Terragen.
Internal scene rendered in Blender 2.79b, then composited to combine the two images.
Glass reflections applied in Photoshop.

DocCharly65

Interesting technics and nice result.
Will be cool, if you get it rendered all completely in TG4

masonspappy

Quote from: DocCharly65 on July 23, 2019, 03:22:58 AM
Interesting technics and nice result.
Will be cool, if you get it rendered all completely in TG4

I think that's doable but would need to play with internal/extra lighting a bit.

Asterlil

The Blender lighting in the foreground is all panels and spots to fake the sunshine, and simple emission materials for the inside light bulbs. I just felt that, for an interior scene, I had better control over materials and textures in Blender, a fact that may be due as much to my being a beginner in TG as anything. All the rooms in the Blender model are already setup with furnishings, so I'll do all those with composited TG views, and then stay exclusively in Terragen when I do exterior shots. I have a lot to learn just in making trees and such look more realistic, as DocCharly and WASasquatch mentioned.