Thumbs-up emoji

Started by DocCharly65, July 17, 2019, 01:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

... meanwhile I ask myself if there isn't an update available for this forum including a "thumbs up" emoticon...
Something in the pipeline for the future, Oshyan and Matt?

... on the other side... never touch a running system ;)

WAS

I've been managing and running forums for almost 20 years now, and to this day, I still do not understand the point of post ratings [on forums]. They came about when Dig was hip, and it was used in that system to bump topics in the list (more digs, higher it's ranking). Forums don't work like that so there is no real point.

I did like the later "Thanks" system, where a lot of forums focused on help/support and this allowed a user to be thanked for their input by people that doesn't need to add input and clutter the post just to say thanks.

Oshyan

Ask Reddit why post rating is useful. It's their entire model. :D

And yes Doc, we're already looking at options for a few more features. Probably something soon.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on July 17, 2019, 03:08:54 PM
Ask Reddit why post rating is useful. It's their entire model. :D

- Oshyan

Which is based on Digg's system of upvoting. You upvote posts, to make them relevant. To the top of the list or comment section. That's the point.

Reddit in fact took Digg's place in posting relevance for teens and techies. Reddit was in fact a Digg clone in infancy. (even double letters in it's name).

DocCharly65

Ähemmm... nice that it's worth a little discussion :) but I only had the idea that e.g. a "thumbs up" sign inside any post could corroborate some parts of posts.

somehow like this:

Nice start! [attachimg=1]   Good luck with the final render [attachimg=2] :)
Uups... I'm late ... this post is 15 years old? I'm embarrassed - I'm not here! [attachimg=3]

Just a bit color and some soul in the texts.
But of course this is an absolutely incidental idea that doen't bring the forum in any way forward concerning professional  content...

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on July 18, 2019, 01:37:11 AM
Ähemmm... nice that it's worth a little discussion :) but I only had the idea that e.g. a "thumbs up" sign inside any post could corroborate some parts of posts.

somehow like this:

Nice start! [attachimg=1]   Good luck with the final render [attachimg=2] :)
Uups... I'm late ... this post is 15 years old? I'm embarrassed - I'm not here! [attachimg=3]

Just a bit color and some soul in the texts.
But of course this is an absolutely incidental idea that doen't bring the forum in any way forward concerning professional  content...

Oh you mean an actual emoticon set beyond default SMF. That shouldn't really be too hard to add. They made that pretty easy and tons to choose from there's even art themed ones with easels and canvases and paint brushes lol

Oshyan

Doc, what web browser do you use? On Chrome I can right-click and insert any Emoji I want: 👍 You can even type to find them by name. 🚁🐺 :D

Why does it matter what Reddit is based on? You said "forums don't work like that so there is no real point", except Reddit is a *massive* forum that *does* work that way, works well, and is very popular.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on July 18, 2019, 03:44:25 PM
Doc, what web browser do you use? On Chrome I can right-click and insert any Emoji I want: 👍 You can even type to find them by name. 🚁🐺 :D

Why does it matter what Reddit is based on? You said "forums don't work like that so there is no real point", except Reddit is a *massive* forum that *does* work that way, works well, and is very popular.

- Oshyan

That's definitely not in Chrome I don't think. That's way cool.

Also, no Reddit, is not really a forum. It doesn't function like one. It's more a bulletin board style, each reddit having one topic, and again, things are bumped by popularity between users. Curated. Definitely not a forum.

Being able to post some text on a website doesn't make it a forum... :\ Web development is my main career remember, I know how these function on the code level, plus the implementation tactics.

Oshyan

That's odd. Where are you right-clicking? Is it *in* the text input field? That's where I'm doing it:

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

I'm on Chrome Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit). From what I can see it used to be a Canary (dev build) only thing that you enabled with a flag. I don't remember enabling it manually, but maybe I did... Anyway, it's handy, works in most text inputs as far as I've seen.

- Oshyan

WAS

I haven't used chrome in ages since they stopped supporting my x5450 (rendering engine or something just produced White pages without some instruction set. That ironically also prevented me from installing Windows 10)

Going to give it another shot. I do like Google for the most part.

Dune

We don't have that nice feature in Firefox, I'm afraid.

DocCharly65

I can confirm Ulcos experience -- Same for edge...  :'(

Oshyan

Well, no, like I said it's a Chrome feature. ;) There might be a Firefox plugin that does it though...
I didn't test it but maybe this? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/emojikeyboard/

- Oshyan

Dune

Thanks Oshyan! ...but I'm not that desperate  :D