Temp output file naming

Started by KlausK, July 22, 2019, 07:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

Hi there.

"Temporary/automatic render output files (the ones named "tgout") have a new filename format that includes the render time and the version of Terragen."

Where can I change this? I am kind of tired renaming the test renders to something useful afterwards.

Is that something that would be possible to change with the help of the SDK?

CHeers, Klaus

/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

digitalguru

I love the new addition of render time in the temp file name, but it would be useful to have that user defined.

jaf

Yes.  I've been manually entering that data, plus number of cores/threads/signature (I keep all my signatures so I can identify the hardware and drivers I used) into the project settings (lower left corner of the UI) for a few years.  Wouldn't think that would be too hard to implement.

Comes in handy when one opens a old scene and wants to get a quick idea of how long the render took. (●'◡'●)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

WAS

Quote from: jaf on July 22, 2019, 03:09:01 PM

Comes in handy when one opens a old scene and wants to get a quick idea of how long the render took. (●'◡'●)

It does. I always enter render times into saves so I can see how the software is improving over the years if it at all.

Oshyan

For temp output this is not user editable at this time. However as described in the change log you can use several new variables in your *regular* file output names and you can control how/where they're used (in the Sequence/Output tab).

${BUILDNUMBER} // e.g. 4.4.09.1
${CAMERA} // the name of the camera at the moment the frame started rendering
${IMAGETYPE} or IMAGETYPE // e.g. tgSurfDirect, tgCloudRgb etc. If used for the main output it will insert tgBeauty
${LAYER} or ${RENDERLAYER} // the name of the render layer at the moment the frame started rendering, if one was connected
${RENDER} or ${RENDERER} or ${RENDERNODE} // the name of the render node at the moment the frame started rendering
${RENDERSECONDS} // render time in seconds, e.g. 134
${RENDERTIME} // render time formatted with hours, minutes and seconds (e.g. 1h07m24s), or without the hours if shorter than 1 hour, e.g. 02m14s
${TGDNAME} // the name of the last saved or loaded TGD file at the moment the frame started rendering (or "Untitled"), without the path and without the extension

If you want to always have your custom file naming setup, just use "Render All to Disk" instead of the regular Render button.

- Oshyan

KlausK

ok and thanks.
I know the tokens but using those with different versions of TG brings me back to the "installations use the same preferences file" thing.
Anyway, not a big deal. Like digitalguru mentioned: "...the temp file name, but it would be useful to have that user defined."

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

jaf

This is how I configure the Project Settings (the signature is a text file with the appropriate info at the time of the render):

(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

kentm