The policy behind XFrog give-aways

Started by N-drju, August 07, 2019, 03:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I must admit that I am quite confused about the scores of free XFrog plants that I have gathered back in the days...

As you may know, XFrog has been genereously offering numerous free plant models over the years. If you checked on their page regularly, you could really gather a sizeable amount of quality models, without spending a penny.

I am not clear on this next step however... Would that be legal to use said models for commercial projects? For splash images on one's official website or for any other use like this? I know there are hoarders like me around this forum who were regulars on their page, so what do you guys think?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Are there no readme (reedme) files that stipulate their use/abuse or any credits? If they say nothing, I'd say it's free to use for whatever purpose.

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on August 07, 2019, 03:07:49 AMI must admit that I am quite confused about the scores of free XFrog plants that I have gathered back in the days...

As you may know, XFrog has been genereously offering numerous free plant models over the years. If you checked on their page regularly, you could really gather a sizeable amount of quality models, without spending a penny.

I am not clear on this next step however... Would that be legal to use said models for commercial projects? For splash images on one's official website or for any other use like this? I know there are hoarders like me around this forum who were regulars on their page, so what do you guys think?
Honestly ive checked their page (their website) for years and it's always been the same models. 

There had been recently a issue with models showing up on third party websites posted by other users not labeled xfrog that were actually not free models and paid for.

N-drju

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 07, 2019, 06:23:54 AMHonestly ive checked their page (their website) for years and it's always been the same models.

Oh, I can assure you this was not the case in the past. Their free samples changed every six months or so and there have been at least four, maybe five "batches" of these "liberated" plants. I really have quite many of them and I don't remember any purchases from XFrog. ;)

Reselling these models as one's own is of course a violation and an extremely nonchalant behavior. There are some XFrog-certified resellers though that offer legit deals.

Taking a better look at license and readme files is always a good idea. In any case, if these models are not considered free for commercial use and I made some money of it, I would still be willing to pay a cut to XFrog to make things right for both of us. It's what gentlemen do. I just think there is a certain level of ambiguity regarding these free samples.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on August 07, 2019, 06:42:01 AM
Quote from: WASasquatch on August 07, 2019, 06:23:54 AMHonestly ive checked their page (their website) for years and it's always been the same models.

Oh, I can assure you this was not the case in the past. Their free samples changed every six months or so and there have been at least four, maybe five "batches" of these "liberated" plants. I really have quite many of them and I don't remember any purchases from XFrog. ;)

Reselling these models as one's own is of course a violation and an extremely nonchalant behavior. There are some XFrog-certified resellers though that offer legit deals.

Taking a better look at license and readme files is always a good idea. In any case, if these models are not considered free for commercial use and I made some money of it, I would still be willing to pay a cut to XFrog to make things right for both of us. It's what gentlemen do. I just think there is a certain level of ambiguity regarding these free samples.

Huh I have a xfrog library too and it's fine stale last few years. I even have their emails of examples and they always seem to list same plants even when new. They just recently did this and someone else posted about the email and it was the same models that had been there. Guess I didn't notice any changes somehow and never grew my library.

The models I'm talking about for free on turbosquid and other places were not by any verified seller, they were straight commercial packs for free like their whole coral set.

All those models recently got removed from all these distributor and xfrog made their own accounts.