The Lion King (almost makes me quit CG landscaping)

Started by Tangled-Universe, August 07, 2019, 04:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

In the article it is said that they shot HDRIs in Kenya, so it is reasonable to assume that the skies are photos.

WAS

Quote from: René on August 12, 2019, 03:46:13 PMIn the article it is said that they shot HDRIs in Kenya, so it is reasonable to assume that the skies are photos.
yeah they took two location trips, Mount Kenya, Kenya, and a Savannah i saw mentioned but no location. Probably Kenya too.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Oshyan on August 12, 2019, 12:44:46 PMInteresting. I had heard that there was "a single" photographed element in there, but it's possible they meant only one entire shot or one non-sky element. Somehow the sky always seems to be a place where it's OK to cheat. ;) (I kid, of course; either it's all cheating or... none of it is, the results are what counts!)

- Oshyan
Agreed.
Who has seen it twice? I did, and if you look with a critical eye you will notice that quite a few of the atmospheres are somehow somewhat off with the overall lighting of the scene and in some cases quite off with the hero lighting of the characters. Say the opening shot of the sun rising over the savannah is really crappy, actually. There you really miss the volumetric lighting.

It's funny that you mention that atmospheres are usually "OK to cheat" and also in this movie it feels like they thought "we have these crazy awesome terrain and animals and it looks awesome when we light it with our HDRI's etc., but we need clouds, shit we forgot about those! Our HDRI's themselves look like crap, oh no! So let's just copy/paste some other atmospheres over it, no one will see. Done yay!".

It just feels off or not part of the same scene/lighting...hard to explain.

Oshyan

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on August 20, 2019, 04:02:15 AMIt's funny that you mention that atmospheres are usually "OK to cheat" and also in this movie it feels like they thought "we have these crazy awesome terrain and animals and it looks awesome when we light it with our HDRI's etc., but we need clouds, shit we forgot about those! Our HDRI's themselves look like crap, oh no! So let's just copy/paste some other atmospheres over it, no one will see. Done yay!".

Shoulda used Terragen, eh? :D

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on August 20, 2019, 04:02:15 AM
Quote from: Oshyan on August 12, 2019, 12:44:46 PMInteresting. I had heard that there was "a single" photographed element in there, but it's possible they meant only one entire shot or one non-sky element. Somehow the sky always seems to be a place where it's OK to cheat. ;) (I kid, of course; either it's all cheating or... none of it is, the results are what counts!)

- Oshyan
Agreed.
Who has seen it twice? I did, and if you look with a critical eye you will notice that quite a few of the atmospheres are somehow somewhat off with the overall lighting of the scene and in some cases quite off with the hero lighting of the characters. Say the opening shot of the sun rising over the savannah is really crappy, actually. There you really miss the volumetric lighting.

It's funny that you mention that atmospheres are usually "OK to cheat" and also in this movie it feels like they thought "we have these crazy awesome terrain and animals and it looks awesome when we light it with our HDRI's etc., but we need clouds, shit we forgot about those! Our HDRI's themselves look like crap, oh no! So let's just copy/paste some other atmospheres over it, no one will see. Done yay!".

Some shots of low lighting they show the entire distant terrains under shadow but "hero" light their scenes in warm basking light, which imo looks odd.

Tangled-Universe

Exactly!
That was just a perfect example out of quite a few, sadly.
Quote from: Oshyan on August 20, 2019, 01:27:28 PMShoulda used Terragen, eh? :D

- Oshyan

Yes :)
I really wonder how their landscapes would look like with a TG generated lightprobe.
Their spherical HDR workflow is probably spot on though. At lleast, I would expect.