Object Viewer Re-Discovered

Started by KlausK, August 08, 2019, 03:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

Hi everyone.

Browsing through my Softimage XSI archives I rediscovered this little gem I had long forgotten about.

https://whurst.net/2014/07/3d-viewer/

The creator is Wolfgang Hurst, Ex-XSI user, now SideFX Houdini man, who released some cool stuff to the community in those days.
It is a very small, portable executable in 32 and 64 bits which loads *.obj files and other formats very quickly. Runs flawlessly on my Win7 computer.
The best thing about it in my opinion is the fact that you can browse folders filled with objects. No need to load each and every object on its own one at a time.
Check it out. Might prove useful...

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

Quote from: KlausK on August 08, 2019, 03:13:45 AMHi everyone.

Browsing through my Softimage XSI archives I rediscovered this little gem I had long forgotten about.

https://whurst.net/2014/07/3d-viewer/

The creator is Wolfgang Hurst, Ex-XSI user, now SideFX Houdini man, who released some cool stuff to the community in those days.
It is a very small, portable executable in 32 and 64 bits which loads *.obj files and other formats very quickly. Runs flawlessly on my Win7 computer.
The best thing about it in my opinion is the fact that you can browse folders filled with objects. No need to load each and every object on its own one at a time.
Check it out. Might prove useful...

CHeers, Klaus

Very convenient for win7 users. Win10 comes native with 3D Viewer (Microsoft) to do pretty much the same. It also loads complex objects really fast.

cyphyr

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 08, 2019, 03:54:12 AMVery convenient for win7 users. Win10 comes native with 3D Viewer (Microsoft) to do pretty much the same. It also loads complex objects really fast.

Really?
How do I access that?
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on August 08, 2019, 04:01:03 AM
Quote from: WASasquatch on August 08, 2019, 03:54:12 AMVery convenient for win7 users. Win10 comes native with 3D Viewer (Microsoft) to do pretty much the same. It also loads complex objects really fast.

Really?
How do I access that?

You should be able to just search "3D Viewer" and pin it to your start or desktop. Additionally it seems to be a Windows App, so it should also be on the Windows Store if it's not installed on your system for some reason (It was added in Windows 10 1703).

It is not available for Windows 7 unfortunately, so this tool shared here will come in handy for me [on my win7 machine].

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_3D_Viewer

Dune

cyphyr

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 08, 2019, 04:22:15 AMYou should be able to just search "3D Viewer" and pin it to your start or desktop. Additionally it seems to be a Windows App, so it should also be on the Windows Store if it's not installed on your system for some reason (It was added in Windows 10 1703).

It is not available for Windows 7 unfortunately, so this tool shared here will come in handy for me [on my win7 machine].

Ok thanks for that.

Last time I looked at that 3D Viewer I figured it was for 3d Printing (it's an option in the file menu).
Unfortunately it looks pretty limited (well it is microsoft!).
Can't save out in anything other than it's own propriety format and can only use an on-line library.
It's also pretty slow compared to just opening up a model in LW.

I was hoping for a properly integrated windows explorer extension that would show 3d thumbnails and quick launch a simple file converter/viewer.

When my current set of renders finishes I'll check out the viewer Klaus posted.

Starting to think that Terragens Library viewer might just be a whole lot more useful than I had previously considered.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

KlausK

@all: you`re welcome.

I do not have any computer running Windows 10, so I do not know if it works there also.

Here is another viewer I use sometimes:
https://geeks3d.com/madview3d/
Also free and quite fast.

For me they are really only meant to quickly browse through the folders of 3d models that accumulated over the years.
Tons of them are from freebie collections of magazines, websites and so on with very cryptic names like jchck_2312.obj or something like that.
Damnit, which one in here was that nice chair, again?
So, good for that, but with rather limited functionality.

But that is when Pose Ray comes to the rescue!

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on August 08, 2019, 06:34:47 AM
Quote from: WASasquatch on August 08, 2019, 04:22:15 AMYou should be able to just search "3D Viewer" and pin it to your start or desktop. Additionally it seems to be a Windows App, so it should also be on the Windows Store if it's not installed on your system for some reason (It was added in Windows 10 1703).

Ok thanks for that.

Last time I looked at that 3D Viewer I figured it was for 3d Printing (it's an option in the file menu).
Can't save out in anything other than it's own propriety format and can only use an on-line library.

I was hoping for a properly integrated windows explorer extension that would show 3d thumbnails and quick launch a simple file converter/viewer.

Starting to think that Terragens Library viewer might just be a whole lot more useful than I had previously considered.

Oh it it? It's leaps and bounds faster for me than poseray, blender and TG at opening objects, and views them better in it's renderer. 

Be careful with TGs library. It's fun, but broken. Can't populate objs from it. Have to manually do it.

Oshyan

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 08, 2019, 03:02:43 PM
Quote from: cyphyr on August 08, 2019, 06:34:47 AMOk thanks for that.

Oh it it? It's leaps and bounds faster for me than poseray, blender and TG at opening objects, and views them better in it's renderer.

Be careful with TGs library. It's fun, but broken. Can't populate objs from it. Have to manually do it.

Populating OBJs from the Library works fine in my tests here just now. Can you report this as a separate issue so we can work with you to diagnose and resolve it before stating that it's simply "broken"?

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on August 09, 2019, 04:43:47 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on August 08, 2019, 03:02:43 PM
Quote from: cyphyr on August 08, 2019, 06:34:47 AMOk thanks for that.

Populating OBJs from the Library works fine in my tests here just now. Can you report this as a separate issue so we can work with you to diagnose and resolve it before stating that it's simply "broken"?

- Oshyan

I'll try it again. Abandoned it long ago cause when I populated TG would have a fit. I wasn't aware of it fixed. Never saw anything mentioned on it. I only mentioned as I was talking about it with someone else who also has the same issue.

Oshyan

Let us know if you reproduce it.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on August 08, 2019, 05:52:01 AMHandy, Thanks Klaus.

Indeed us Win 7 users(on my workstation when it comes back)can use this.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist