About Documentation (Split topic from: New forum version and theme)

Started by Jo Kariboo, August 06, 2019, 09:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: jwiede on August 11, 2019, 05:58:17 PMUgh, editor ate quotes and mangled reply, need to try again from start, sorry.  What's up with the post editor?

Uhh I'm not sure why the quoted message has nothing to do with the message I quoted. You may have edited it when I hit quote...

Quote from: undefinedHowever, it would serve as a strong reference base from which it would be much easier to derive actual reference documentation.  It could even significantly reduce the need for word-by-word review by Matt, because the more experienced users would be in a position to peer-review entries (which may not be as in-depth value, but still brings significant value nonetheless -- not every issue is a low-level complex nightmare, after all).

Yeah, I think that was the original initiative behind the Wiki, and us being able to edit, so information can be as accurate as possible. I think the problem there was the system in place. I needed better spam prevention measures. In general though, considering we're not Wikipedia with however many millions of users, let alone editors, we probably should limited access to the wiki if it gets sorted. Though I think @Oshyan mentioned allowing access to people now if they want.

jwiede

Quote from: WASasquatch on August 11, 2019, 06:05:02 PMUhh I'm not sure why the quoted message has nothing to do with the message I quoted. You may have edited it when I hit quote...
The post was properly-formed valid bbcode (I tend to work in source view, your quote had valid {quote author=<author> link=msg=<link> date=<date>}...{/quote} structure, square brackets swapped with curly brackets to prevent parser trigger), and looked fine in preview, but then upon posting the entire quote from you disappeared altogether.  No clue why, but attempting then to edit it caused even further corruption of the post.  I quickly gave up and started over.

I suspect there's a bug hiding in the post editor w.r.t. how it maintains quote references, and what happens when the nested levels of quotes (and references) are altered/removed, but not interested in debugging it at this moment (debugging other code already).

WAS

Quote from: jwiede on August 11, 2019, 06:13:44 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on August 11, 2019, 06:05:02 PMUhh I'm not sure why the quoted message has nothing to do with the message I quoted. You may have edited it when I hit quote...
The post was properly-formed valid bbcode (I tend to work in source view, your quote had valid {quote author=<author> link=msg=<link> date=<date>}...{/quote} structure, square brackets swapped with curly brackets to prevent parser trigger), and looked fine in preview, but then upon posting the entire quote from you disappeared altogether.  No clue why, but attempting then to edit it caused even further corruption of the post.  I quickly gave up and started over.

I suspect there's a bug hiding in the post editor w.r.t. how it maintains quote references, and what happens when the nested levels of quotes (and references) are altered/removed, but not interested in debugging it at this moment (debugging other code already).

It may also be cursor location. Sometimes it gets nested in the quote, and you type, and even though you delete, the parser tries to handle it and breaks the actual source. 

I have to often click at the end of the post cause it just starts editing inside the beginning of the quoted text.

I hate dealing with other people's JavaScript or jQuery but may poke at it. Could find something.