TG4 update...

Started by icarus51, May 22, 2023, 01:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icarus51

Hi
After version 4.6.31 of Terragen 4, it is now time that I no longer see TG4 updates. Can anyone tell me if we have within this year? Thank you.

Kevin Kipper

Hi Icarus51,

Terragen 4.6.31 is the latest version of Terragen 4 for Windows and Linux.

For the MacOS, the latest version is 4.6.36frontier.

Matt

Terragen 4.6 will be updated next week to improve render speed in atmospheres and to fix a bug with semi-transparent shadows. This update will be for Windows, Mac and Linux. This will also mark the point where 4.6 becomes a full Release build on the Mac.

So far in 2023 we've been heavily focused on two main things: Terragen Sky, and a new GPU renderer. GPU rendering for atmospheres and clouds might be available towards the end of this year, in both Terragen Sky and Terragen 4. I think the GPU renderer is probably the most important thing for us to be working on right now. However, the focus on that work is causing releases of TG4 to be less frequent at the moment.

I would like to say something else about Terragen Sky. It could be a glimpse at what Terragen 5 will look and feel like. We're developing the UI to support many of the shaders and function nodes from TG4, so any sky that can TG4 can create will also be possible to create in Terragen Sky, but more quickly and easily. The full TG4 renderer is running inside Terragen Sky already, it's just not connected to a terrain or other kinds of objects yet. If we bring the complete set of TG4 nodes into the new UI, combined with GPU accelerated volumetrics, we might have a strong basis for Terragen 5. That is the kind of Terragen 5 I would like to see!
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Thanks for the update, Matt. Looking forward to it!

gao_jian11

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

This sounds fantastic!  THanks Matt!