Atmosphere shadow problem

Started by Hannes, August 12, 2019, 08:17:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I also tried your cloud solution, Richard. 
It looks quite nice, but takes ages to render. 
And it doesn't seem to cast a shadow. 
Thanks anyway, cool idea!!!!

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on August 12, 2019, 05:33:36 pmActually it happens only with shadows onto the atmosphere, when the opacity of the shadow casting object's default shader is either less than 1, or if an image is used for opacity.

I believe this coincides with a transparency ring setup like yours and mine. Both needed opacity. Mine though did feed into a surface layer, with glass shader as main input, and secondary alpha mask as surface mask. For semitransparency.
Check out the Terragen Community on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Terragen.Galleries/

Hannes

In my scene I used two ring objects (planes).
One with the glass shader setup with cast shadows off, and one invisible plane with a simple default shader and a b/w image map in the opacity slot with cast shadows on.

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on August 12, 2019, 05:51:12 pmIn my scene I used two ring objects (planes).
One with the glass shader setup with cast shadows off, and one invisible plane with a simple default shader and a b/w image map in the opacity slot with cast shadows on.

I think that's what I did, since the glass trans plane will give you it's full shadow. Not positive though. Just throwing it out there, it may be something that can be referred in change logs. Cause, like I said I don't remember it, and it should have been very obvious.
Check out the Terragen Community on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Terragen.Galleries/

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Hannes on August 12, 2019, 05:38:19 pmI also tried your cloud solution, Richard.
It looks quite nice, but takes ages to render.
And it doesn't seem to cast a shadow.
Thanks anyway, cool idea!!!!
At least that fits with why my idea (of increasing atmo ceiling) didn't work either...interesting.