Large Scale PFs and Planets

Started by WAS, August 16, 2019, 11:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

So Ulco pointed this out in another topic. When you actually amplify displacement to a visible level across the entire planet (not just mountain peaks here or there) the Power Fractal creates straight lines across the equator hemisphere on Y axis. I assume this is due to XYZ noise. Is there no way around this? I've tried noise colour to displacement, PFs displacement, and tried world position with both, but the effect still occurs.

Matt

What other shaders are involved? Is there a Fractal Warp? That is only 2D.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on August 16, 2019, 11:22:33 PMWhat other shaders are involved? Is there a Fractal Warp? That is only 2D.

Thanks for your reply. There is a fractal warp, but it's on a low scale for roughing terrain. There was Warp Shder where I was warping terrain by a PF, which I thought was 3D, I also tried a Redirect with 3 PFs on XYZ.

Edit: Seems that Fractal Warp despite it's scale causes this (maybe not super small scale but the level I'm using to rough up mountains and stuff)

Does this mean that Alpines wouldn't work right on planetary levels?

Matt

Yes, the Alpine Fractal has a similar limitation. It works in X and Z but you can rotate it with a transform.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on August 16, 2019, 11:48:16 PMYes, the Alpine Fractal has a similar limitation. It works in X and Z but you can rotate it with a transform.

Oh ok. So may be able to work around that with a merge shader and mixer grabbing the X/Z of the sphere.