Path traced glacier

Started by luc BIANCO, August 14, 2019, 01:21:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

luc BIANCO

Here a comparison between normal and path traced render (+ exagerated details on to boost details in shadows.. : my taste choice here) on a reworked glacier scene version I did

luc
Terragen scenes & presets store
www.lucbianco.fr

Dune

Cool, PT looks way better. Just working on a Saalien commission too with ice breaking up, so good to know PT is nice for that.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 14, 2019, 01:23:53 amCool, PT looks way better. Just working on a Saalien commission too with ice breaking up, so good to know PT is nice for that.
Yeah it definitely looks better like there is more light volume.

Great work on this! I've tried a couple times at this but never finished one.
Check out my Terragen Discord: https://discord.gg/Vy5FRTE

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Tangled-Universe

As mentioned on FB the reflections from the snow are much better handled, bouncing things around a lot better.
It makes the excessive AO very unrealistic to me, although I can understand why you prefer its esthetic, especially if you consider "what's out there" on sites like Artstation etc.

Did you enable deferred shading for the non-PT render? That's the only right way of comparing the PT with the non-PT render.
I also wonder if MPD or pixel filter was the same? The PT is unexpectedly way more crisp and sharp than the non-PT and that cannot be attributed to the PT renderer if you'd ask me.

Hannes

Looks great! And again a good example for the difference between RT and PT.

mhaze

what a difference. pt version is much better.