Low Orbit 2

Started by cyphyr, August 19, 2019, 07:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

At 200000m, half the altitude of the ISS.
4 cloud layers. The large clouds are v3 and the small speckled layers are v2.
Took 2 3/4 hours on the Ryzen.

I think I may try another with a little lass of the larger V3 clouds next time.

Enjoy and C&C is always good.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

I like it, the clouds work well with each other. Can't tell v2 is used for the smaller speckle like clouds either. Lighting is more or less the same from this vantage point. Great work.

cyphyr

Slight updated version.
Lower mountains and more dispersed large clouds.
Better I think ... ?
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on August 20, 2019, 01:21:51 PMSlight updated version.
Lower mountains and more dispersed large clouds.
Better I think ... ?

I agree, it looks better.

Oshyan

The greater variation in cloud distribution is a definite improvement. But now it exposes something a bit artificial-looking about the smaller cirrus bands. Those are really hard to get right though, of course.

Also given the relatively low exposure here, with a yellow sunlight reflection (which at higher exposure would still be nearer to white), and bright areas of clouds far off from white, I wouldn't expect to see stars. :D

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on August 20, 2019, 01:30:52 PMBut now it exposes something a bit artificial-looking about the smaller cirrus bands. Those are really hard to get right though, of course.

I think some larger scale soft perlin masking of the bands may help break it up and mask out some of the noticeable "warpy bands".

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

Hannes

Cool! Doing some orbit scene as well at the moment. Looking forward to your next step.

Tangled-Universe

Cool stuff *and* good looking!
I agree that the cirrus bands are a bit artificial looking in the last update. Some soft breakup might help indeed, good suggestion I think.

Perhaps not your aim here -as I seem to remember you made similar themed renders before who had this what I'm about to suggest- but it could look nice and dramatic if there was a low density fog layer present catching shadows of the big clouds.
Then a bit higher focal length and more focus on the sunset/rise part, changing to portrait aspect and top ~25% being atmosphere/space and you may have a winner?

RichTwo

Looks like a good start anyway.  Reminds me of Nvseal's work.
They're all wasted!

DocCharly65

Great orbit views... both of them. I'm curious, where this goes.