Warp input shader - again, preferred input

Started by N-drju, August 29, 2019, 02:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

So I'm trying to put a "warp input shader" to work as (for example) a mask. However, regardless of what I feed into the "warper" input, I receive no response of any sorts. I tried PFs, vectors, even constant scalars to no avail.

What should be going in there? >:(
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

KlausK

hi, did you read the Wiki article about the node?
I think it is quite helpful to understand what the node actually does.

One thing that is mentioned is to use a "Redirect" node on the Warper to strengthen the effect on the nodes coming in the main input (upstream).

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

KlausK

Here is a simple example where you can see that it does what you expect it to do.
Hope that helps.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Matt

Most of the time when you want to warp a shader you want to warp it in directions that are parallel to the surface. For example, on a flat surface you want to warp in the X and Z directions. Warping in Y will have some effect on 3D textures like the Power Fractal, as KlausK's example shows, but it might not really look like it's warping. And if you're warping a 2D texture it won't have any effect at all. To warp in X and Z you could use a Redirect Shader and plug some displacements into the X and/or Z inputs. Then use the Redirect Shader as the warper.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

N-drju

::)

Indeed, thank for reminding me. I forgot that warp input comes with some very specific nodes (redirect, just as you said Klaus.)

And in relation to what Matt said - in fact, I was trying to find a way to warp a 2-dimensional mask...

In this case, I think I should reword my question.

I look for a way to distort an SSS mask. I usually do this with the fractal warp shader, but this warping method offers very little control over both the shape and warper.

So, what could I use to warp a mask shape and be able to easily reseed / tweak the warp values?

By the way, the mask in question should remain an SSS. This node has some very useful edge smoothing parameters and is modifiable to the (ca)nines and this is why I would like to use it, yet again. I just need to find a way to "sculpt" it with more control.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Just add a vector displacement shader to warp function input (warper) and add a PF to vdisp shader. If you don't want to have your SSS move off its center, set offset to -0.5 in X and Z and set Y to 0. Play with sizes, color roughness and noise type, etc of PF (just color is used, but you can also use a negative black color, and even unclamped) and amount of displacement in vdisp shader. I also often stretch Y of the PF to make sure the warp is kind of the same at different altitudes, for certain uses (like wanting to use a displ to shader for foam around coasts, etc).

N-drju

Okay, I think I got it.

I have an impression that we already discussed this problem. I think I was too confused.

Anyway, thank you for the tips and reminders.

warping.png