Windows 11 ~ worth it ?

Started by cyphyr, November 15, 2021, 05:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Has anyone upgraded to Windows 11 yet?
Is it worth it and did you run into any issues.

My main workhorse rig is itching to upgrade; keeps badgering me about it. 

Conversely my new bare bones Terragen only system (Ryzen 9 5950X) will not qualify for an upgrade as it is missing the TPM module! lol
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Nala1977

Quote from: cyphyr on November 15, 2021, 05:42:46 AMHas anyone upgraded to Windows 11 yet?
Is it worth it and did you run into any issues.

My main workhorse rig is itching to upgrade; keeps badgering me about it.

Conversely my new bare bones Terragen only system (Ryzen 9 5950X) will not qualify for an upgrade as it is missing the TPM module! lol
I upgraded it have your same CPU, no issues so far, actually i have noticed a performance increase over win10.

WAS

I see absolutely no reason to even use Windows 11 except the headache it's been, even frying computers trying to just run games.

They are even doing the "Windows 11" compatible sticker thing they did with Vista which resulted in a class action lawsuit do to the many quirks of Vista on different hardware. With all the stuff happening with users upgrading and even buying windows 11 ready computers, I see history repeating itself.

Apparently they just got done with a class action in Canada for charging upwards 250 dollars more in a country already horribly inflated

cyphyr

Thanks for the opinions guys (two in basically opposite directions lol).

I've held off so far mostly because of the performance hit AMD processors were getting (allegedly now fixed) and secondly because of the disruption I would no doubt have to endure getting everything to work again.  Eventually I will have no choice I expect but I will probably succumb before that time anyway.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

mhaze

I upgraded and to my atonishment there were do setting up issues whatsoever. All my programs were there ready to use. Of course you can waste time playing with settings and gimicks but it wsn't necessary!

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on November 16, 2021, 05:39:31 AMThanks for the opinions guys (two in basically opposite directions lol).

I've held off so far mostly because of the performance hit AMD processors were getting (allegedly now fixed) and secondly because of the disruption I would no doubt have to endure getting everything to work again.  Eventually I will have no choice I expect but I will probably succumb before that time anyway.
Microsoft won't push Windows 11 as a standard. Windows 10 will continue to receive security updates probably for over a decade because of their negligence with security when over 95% of the wold population doesn't have the necessary hardware, and the rest will slipstream an illegal copy probably to get by it if you force them. Windows 10 is still getting new official builds and insider builds on my end too.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

My wife just got a Dell Laptop with Windows 11 on it, and it has a better clean looking UI more like Mac.  haha

Ironically, my high end PC's that run Windows 10 aren't compatible with Windows 11 for some reason according to Windows Update.

digitalguru

Quote from: SuddenPlanet on December 07, 2021, 09:31:49 PMIronically, my high end PC's that run Windows 10 aren't compatible with Windows 11 for some reason according to Windows Update.
It could be that TPM 2.0 isn't supported on your CPU/Mobo - check to see if that combo is on the Microsoft compatible list. It may be TPM is disabled in the BIOS.

There's this that checks for PC:
https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/
Haven't tried this though.

My Threadripper is only a couple of years old (1950x) and is not on the supported list.
Doesn't worry me - if I want more bloat in my OS and fewer programs to work, I would go with 11 :)

WAS

Most computers, like 95% of them, do not have TPM module at all, let alone TPM 2.0. AMD emulates TPM in software, but that isn't compatible, and is only TPM 1.1 or something. Forcing personal computers to be this secure is just nonsense. It really seems to be them being proactive against giant hacking threats from letting people use their personal computers with business level work, like hooking up to a intranet when the computer also connects to the net.

With a Desktop PC you can probably get a TPM 2.0 PCI card, or maybe a module for the mobo and then you can install Windows 11.

You can also just download a slipstream image of Windows 11 with TPM BS disabled.

sboerner

My 1950x is also not compatible with the upgrade. That's OK. If it ain't broke . . .

As you so wisely pointed out, Jordan, Microsoft is going to be supporting Windows 10 for a long, long time.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Just found this: "The BIOS of GIGABYTE Motherboards Features TPM 2.0 Function to Support Windows 11 Upgrade

Select IntelĀ® and AMD models can pass the OS upgrade verification by BIOS setting"

https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/1925

I haven't gone into the BIOS to look yet, but it sounds like my Mobo (GIGABYTE TRX40 AORUS PRO WiFi) may be compatible with Windows 11 with a setting change (no TPM Module Needed).

Derek

WAS

Quote from: SuddenPlanet on December 17, 2021, 01:41:36 PMJust found this: "The BIOS of GIGABYTE Motherboards Features TPM 2.0 Function to Support Windows 11 Upgrade

Select IntelĀ® and AMD models can pass the OS upgrade verification by BIOS setting"

https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/1925

I haven't gone into the BIOS to look yet, but it sounds like my Mobo (GIGABYTE TRX40 AORUS PRO WiFi) may be compatible with Windows 11 with a setting change (no TPM Module Needed).

Derek

They said that about mine, but it's only TPM 1.0 in software in the BIOS on my B450. I need 2.0+

My dad's laptop just installed Windows 11 as part of windows updates. Just showed up after a restart lol. Kinda annoying cause a lot of the custom stuff you did to not be a major malware target and phishing target can't be done to the system. And their TPM stuff only covers bitlocker encryption and OS stored cards for like Windows Store. Doesn't help at all on a browser online. Which makes me wonder what the point of Windows 11 actually is besides a new UI. Which I really don't like. Cause I've never liked Mac. Lol

Oayumi

I have noticed a slight increase in performance, but this may just be a subjective feeling. And I don't like the START Menu and the Taskbar. Is it worth it? Probably not really