Can't gather project

Started by N-drju, September 05, 2019, 01:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I can't gather project and its assets. No matter what. Here's what it looks like. Not a single piece of information on what went wrong...

Bez tytułu.png

"Problem gathering project". Very informative. 8)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

N-drju

Also a log. But likewise, it does not contain anything of note.

Gathering report.txt
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

N-drju

Solved - It's the case-sensitive filename that is at fault.

I've seen someone else had this problem about a year ago. It's high time to do something about it. ::)

Oshyan

Thanks for the report, we are now tracking this in our bug database.

- Oshyan

N-drju

Thanks. This is a real nuisance, because the names of XFrog texture images are also case-sensitive and hard-coded in a way that you cannot change a small "l" into an upper case "L".

The only solution is to change the filename into something entirely different. But in this case, if you put this model into any other project, you will get a "file not found" error and will have to find and assign a renamed file manually.

Oshyan

To be clear, as far as we're aware the main file load functions in Terragen should all transparently handle case differences (Windows handles this, I believe). The Export Gathered Project function in particular does seem more picky about case sensitivity, and that's the bug we'd look at resolving.

- Oshyan

Matt

Quote from: N-drju on September 10, 2019, 02:44:50 AMThanks. This is a real nuisance, because the names of XFrog texture images are also case-sensitive and hard-coded in a way that you cannot change a small "l" into an upper case "L".

The only solution is to change the filename into something entirely different. But in this case, if you put this model into any other project, you will get a "file not found" error and will have to find and assign a renamed file manually.

Can you give an example of these Xfrog filenames that have this problem?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

N-drju

In my case it was the Grand Fir.

Two texture files have caused this problem - "Cl02bark" and "Cl02fruit".

I don't remember if these are exact names, but you'll find it. In any case, the second letter "L" is different in the object compared to what is displayed in the project gathering window.

As I said before, what is really strange though is that I am unable to change this single letter! It just reverts to the original case. Can you reproduce that as well?

So completely renaming the file is the only way in which you can gather a project containing such problematic filenames...

Quote from: Oshyan on September 10, 2019, 07:09:15 PMTo be clear, as far as we're aware the main file load functions in Terragen should all transparently handle case differences (Windows handles this, I believe).

Yes, this works fine. No question about that.

Matt

Thank you. That will help us understand the full extent of the problem.

Matt

Renaming a file in Windows, if the only change is a change of case then some versions of Windows ignore the change. Is that what you meant, or is there a problem renaming the file reference in Terragen?

N-drju

Windows renaming. Ok, that's worth knowing too.