The Insane Future of AI in CG Art

Started by René, October 19, 2019, 03:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

Dune

Hannes

KyL

more freaky stuff here

This is the youtube channel of the guy who did place Jim Carrey's face in the Shining, among other things :D

WAS

It's really interesting stuff. To achieve believable effects though you need a lot of reference data for the AI. I've messed around with it in the past and couldn't provide enough data. For example they talk about stand ins for movies and such. The actor would need to do a 3D scanning session for truly accurate results. With Jim Carrey I'm sure they used Ace Ventura 1 and 2 and Dumb and Dumber since his face hadn't changed much between shoots (and considering the age of the Jim used)

The one thing that gives it away to me, and I'm not sure if it's noticeable to anyone else. The new face, has the original actors muscle placements used on the new face, which for me allows me to see much of the original actor. For example Jack Nicholson here as Jim Carrey. Eyebrow muscle movement, lip muscle movement, etc.

René

Quote from: WAS 20-10-2019 06:06:29

The one thing that gives it away to me, and I'm not sure if it's noticeable to anyone else. The new face, has the original actors muscle placements used on the new face, which for me allows me to see much of the original actor. For example Jack Nicholson here as Jim Carrey. Eyebrow muscle movement, lip muscle movement, etc.

That might be it, but it's also Jack's acting. Moreover, only the central part of the face has been replaced; the forehead and the contours are those of Jack.
Both actors are capable of acrobatic facial expressions and I wonder if someone with a more phlegmatic acting style, Max von Sydow for example, would produce an equally good result.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I wonder if Terragen could use this kind of GPU viewport rendering:

KyL

This would mean favoring users with Nvidia GPUs, or push to buy their cards :-\
 Personally I rather like the approach of a CPU-based raytraced viewport. This works on any computer and is much more capable at handling huge scenes.