Optimising Path Tracing Renders

Started by mhaze, August 12, 2019, 06:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalguru

Thanks Oshyan, great to see those tips in one place  :)

QuoteBut for example in a mostly-terrain scene with a few scattered objects and a lot of direct sunlight, you're probably not going to see much benefit.
I did try PT on my recent animation and didn't see much difference to the standard renderer, good to know that's the case.

Oshyan

Quote from: digitalguru on August 13, 2019, 08:00:17 AMThanks Oshyan, great to see those tips in one place  :)

Quote from: undefinedBut for example in a mostly-terrain scene with a few scattered objects and a lot of direct sunlight, you're probably not going to see much benefit.
I did try PT on my recent animation and didn't see much difference to the standard renderer, good to know that's the case.
In the vegetation you should see some difference, but given the amount of movement in the video it may not have been that visible. If you had been rendering the truck in TG though, the shadow with the ground and onto plants might have been a more notable area of difference though, for example.

- Oshyan

N-drju

Again - a great set of guidelines Oshyan. I'm trying these settings out now using the AA8, FS 1/256 rule of thumb. It's rendering quick enough and looks ok.

Still needs some practice of course, but it's apparently working. i also discovered that high soft shadow samples can actually deteriorate shadow quality when used in conjunction with PT.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Tangled-Universe

I just downloaded your zip file, sorry it took a bit longer than I wanted.
It seems you have received some great help and advice already, so I will incorporate some of those and see if I can help with shading/texturing as well, because by the looks of it that's also a major player here.

N-drju

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on September 08, 2019, 04:17:26 PMI just downloaded your zip file, sorry it took a bit longer than I wanted.
It seems you have received some great help and advice already, so I will incorporate some of those and see if I can help with shading/texturing as well, because by the looks of it that's also a major player here.

That's okay Martin. Like I said - this is nothing urgent. I am, however, willing to learn and explore so hit me back up with any conclusions and suggestions you may have.

Yep, like I said - this time I made the shader network far more complicated than it usually is.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"