How does a noob get from idea to awesome?

Started by Jw432, September 19, 2019, 12:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jw432

Hi -

I've played around with Terragen (and Blender among other tools) for about year now and I've gotten some satisfying images with Terragen thru trial and error.  I really like the terragen renders but darn - those shaders are difficult.  The thing that frustrates me the most is that while I can get something cool or nice looking I can't get from 'Idea to Image' and I always get lost in Shader complexity.  Where is the information and how have people learned to be so good with this? 

I thought I would load up some of the example files and modify the different objects and shaders and see how they are impacted by different changes - but what I found was that none of my changes seemed to make any difference.

For example, Gas Giant Complete Scene.tgd - awesome image - I want to learn how to add rings to a planet, because I often want ringed planets in my images....  Ok, so I see there are two 'Optional Planet Ring...' Populations - only necessary for high detail.  One is enabled, one is not.  If I disable the one that is enabled by default and render, I still get a ringed gas giant.  Okay so if both are Optional Planet Rings and I disable both but still see a nice ring, then it must be defined elsewhere .... but nothing else makes sense, it's not in the PLanet01 shaders and not in the Background as far as I can tell. Where is it?  There are only 4 objects and 1 shader in this project, I should be able to find the Ring definition and modify it or create my own ring using a similar approach.

I rendered the project with both Optional Planet Ring Rocks enabled, both disabled and each one enabled one at a time. All 3 images look the same to me.

I had a similar experience with the Canyon Mesas.tgd.  I thought it would be easy to make the mesas taller, shorter, rougher on top, closer together or further apart.  All mods to the project resulted in similar looking canyon mesas.

What are the basics that I am missing?

Thanks for future advice - and if you are going to suggest I follow more tutorials or watch more videos, I'd be happy to - just please point me to the free ones.  While I might be willing to pay for advanced content I first need to be convinced that I can actually learn this stuff and so far I am not convinced.

cyphyr

Can you provide a link to the project file you are dissecting?
The ring may well be a very thick cloud layer masked in such a way to make it look like a ring.
See if the ring vanishes if you disable cloud layers.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Jw432

Quote from: cyphyr on September 19, 2019, 03:29:01 PMCan you provide a link to the project file you are dissecting?
The ring may well be a very thick cloud layer masked in such a way to make it look like a ring.
See if the ring vanishes if you disable cloud layers.
Hi cyphyr,

Sure can, https://planetside.co.uk/free-downloads/terragen-presets-pack-volume1/

The two projects are provided as samples on Terragen's website, the 'Gas_Giant_Complete_Scene.tgd' and 'Canyon_Mesas.tgd'.  I figured what better way to learn than to tweak some of their nice examples. ;-)

Dune

I happen to have that tgd as well, so took a look. It's indeed a cloud layer that makes the ring: Cloud layer v2 01_1. If you disable that, it'll be gone.

And with the canyon; the Constant scalar 01 is the size of the voronoi (flat) mountains, so increase that and the whole patches of hills get larger, and so are the gaps/valleys. The Distance between canyon walls really doesn't have much effect, it's just a small adjustment to the curve.
For height you have to check the settings of the Tile Profile, which has a displacement multiplier (at 4000). Increase that and hills are higher.

If you really need to change the gaps, but not the size as such, I'd advise adding a color adjust shader as shown. With the black and white values you can change the appearance of the mesas much better. From -0.5 for black and 0.5 for white for small gaps, values 1 and 2 for really wide canyons. Play with those values. A Blue node called smooth step would even be better, with two constant colors attached, as that gives the edges a slightly rounded effect, while the color adjust gives a hard edge.

It's good practise when studying a file like this to disable one node at the time and see what happens. See what settings are there, try changing one of the settings at the time bigtime, and see what happens. Then you get to understand the line of nodes, and each setting.

Good luck, and do post results of your endeavours. All begin is hard, especially in TG.