Why Mojo Users Have Not Adopted TG2 (and some solutions)

Started by efflux, November 09, 2007, 11:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

Another point to mention here is that when you really twist things about heavily it's often better to set the detail at rendering to higher value especially if you use terrain that has ridges. This is just a question of seeing what it looks like at lower settings first. You may see serrated looking edges. The shadows problem crops up again with this technique but not as bad as with smaller displacements. That problem varies a lot with everything so there are no easy to explain hard rules about how to best avoid it.

child@play

i've run into the shadow problem too, but i guess that's what happens when you're going to extremes. the most challenging part will be taking this great technique ( now i know how to use that warp-shader, ha 8) ) and get realistic images out of this. or at least surreal/abstract images that look natural.

as always sir, following your experiments was great fun and very informative
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

mhaze

Yeah I'd also like to add my thanks to Efflux and Matt for some great tips and files it's threads like these that move the community along and improve the quality of the work we all produce - a big thanks

efflux

It's a pity this thread looks like it has a more critical angle from the title because it turned out that things are possible that I thought were not but not easy to find the way hence the initial message about Mojo users not trying TG2.

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

efflux

How do I do that? It would be OK to keep the why Mojo users won't adopt TG2 bit or haven't already adopted TG2 but I'd rather leave out the TG2 Fault aspect. It makes it seem there is no way around the issue.

Never mind. I have changed the title to something a bit more suitable.

j meyer

Thanks for the example file Matt!

Thank you efflux for overcoming yourself and posting a file. ;)
I spent some hours experimenting with Matt's file and your
file saved me a lot of time i'd have had to spend just searching
for some of the values you used and which i probably never
had found else.This way i could compare and see where the
differences are and that makes much more sense to me.
Since i'm busy with lots of stuff i do appreciate.
Cheerio,J.

rcallicotte

@efflux - Thanks for the file.  I have been playing with Matt's ideas all day off and on at work.   ;D  ...in between compiles...er, or something.  Anyway, I'm ready to goof around with your file now and I'll post something from all my labor.  Thanks again.

Thanks to you, too, Matt.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?