Poser Compatibility?

Started by absolutehavok, December 31, 2006, 10:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

absolutehavok

helentr

Quote from: absolutehavok on December 31, 2006, 10:22:55 PM
Will a future build of TG2 support compatibility with Poser files (.pp2, .rsr) for object populations?
I have some high quality shrub and grass models that I'd like to use for TG2, but I can't find any way to convert Poser files to any TG2 formats.

Thanks in advance!
-Jeff
If you open them in Poser, and export as an obj file, don't they work? (You may have to convert to tgo from within Terragen if they crash).
The only problem I have found with Poser is with the number of textures - they always seem to be above 16, so the rest become black.

Helen

manleystanley

Poser seems like a bad debit, it follows me everywhere I go.
What were you exporting from Poser? It could be the way Poser exports the .obj, some programs export .obj with a copy of a texture for every time the texture is used on the object; as in if 1 texture is used 16 times and you export the .obj you get 16 repetes of the same texture, not all programs do this. Now I don't fully use Poser, it's just a prep app for Carrara for me. But I exported Posette; shes a nice low poly figure without being too low poly, I like her for animating. And she exported with no textures, just colors in the mtl. she imported and rendered fine; but naked, I didn't cloth her. Then I exported a tree, exported with 6 textures. Now if you are attempting to export a fully clothed, wigged figure, with a mat skin textures, I can see where you would have more then 16 textures. I've ran into the textures problem with cars, I just went through my vehicals folder and found cars with less then 16 textures. You may just have to be more selective as to what your exporting/importing.
"So you think you can tell, heaven from hell, blue skys from pain.
can you tell a green field, from a cold steel rail? a smile from a veil?
do you think you can tell?" P.F.

rcallicotte

I've been trying the Wavefront export in both Poser and DAZ|Studio.  DAZ seems to work better so far, but the problem with more than 16 shaders is there, my ignorance how to do this better is there, and I think hair must need to be handled differently than the regular textures.  I'm going to try a vehicle or a house next to see what I can come up with.  I'll post the results here.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

I just imported this directly from Poser 6 as a Wavefront object.  By coincidence the number of textures exported from Poser was 16.  This is only a draft.

http://www.ashundar.com/CPG/displayimage.php?pos=-3629

manleystanley

Have you thought about just using the .obj in your geometries folder? No, wouldn't work to well as you would have to go though your textures folder and basicly retexture the .obj. Not something most people enjoy; but I love it.
Have you thought about downloading the free Wings3d and using it to "filter" your object? Just open and resave. It might help, I have to do it in Hex2 with Carrara .obj's to use in TG2.

rcallicotte

Quote from: manleystanley on January 01, 2007, 12:19:42 PM
Have you thought about just using the .obj in your geometries folder? No, wouldn't work to well as you would have to go though your textures folder and basicly retexture the .obj. Not something most people enjoy; but I love it.
Have you thought about downloading the free Wings3d and using it to "filter" your object? Just open and resave. It might help, I have to do it in Hex2 with Carrara .obj's to use in TG2.

Did you see my render?  I don't need to do anything at this point.

manleystanley

Except add foot prints in the snow  ;)   :D

Doofus

Really nice render calico. Only thing I think is you should lower the Mecha into the snow some. Something as heavy as that won't walk on top of the snow but sink through it. Nice looking environment though.
Plus footprints would be nice, but no idea where you would start other than painting them on in post. :)
Rub a little funk on it baby :D

absolutehavok

rcallicotte

absolutehavok and everyone else - Thanks for your praise as well as your help on this drawing.  I'm actually giving it some time to think about before I do too many more things.  I would like to make the environment more realistic, so I'm thinking about more such things before I go further.  Thinking to use the crater shader for footprints could be genius.  I'll try it.

As for the Xfrog models, how many are there?  Maybe I could help convert them, depending on what that might mean legally and workwise.

manleystanley

"The billboard package" please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't billboards just flat background models? Basically a big square with a plant picture on it.
Depending on which poser format Carrara will open then and convert to .obj, or Daz studio; which is free.

rcallicotte

Yes.  That's what I remember, too.  And forgot about DAZ|Studio...which is free.  You're right, ms.  That should do it.

Sethren

manleystanley

Took a bit of digging but the link is still good. If you don't mind doing a bit of converting. They are also rather large files; if your on dial up I wouldn't try to download the silver maple.  ;)

http://web.inf.tu-dresden.de/ST2/cg/downloads/publicplants/