Subsurface scattering

Started by Dune, October 11, 2019, 10:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Not a very good render, but I used the new SSS feature in the water shader of a build to come soon. I wanted the 1.5cm top layer of the mud to have some subsurface scattering, but I don't know if this was very succesful. Maybe I should do this completely different, but here it is anyway.

Hannes

Maybe you should increase the decay distance to see an effect.

bobbystahr

just gotta find the cash to upgrade...been waiting for this for a long while.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Well, maybe I'm a bit dimwitted at the moment, but if I do that it'd be just water with a color, I'd say.

Hannes

It's quite tricky to find the right balance between density and decay distance. The effect you want, might already be there, but I'm not sure, if this kind of mud sss is much noticeable in nature.

Dune

Yes, that's probably right. I need something else to test SSS.

sjefen

Very difficult to see the effect here. 
How about trying this on leafs on some trees?  :)

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

WAS

Why not try the flesh/meat shaders shared in the material library? Try to make them more "realistic"?

Leaves as mentioned would be a nice use, not sure how that'd go over with card-based leaves.

Water scum is another example that comes to mind. Algea on water, etc.

Are these features in Alpha or something? I haven't noticed them in current Frontier builds to even compare results.

Dune

I'll think of something, but meat would be awesome. And it's the newest alpha/frontier, so not yet available.

Dune

Okay, here's another imperfect PT SSS test. Eggwhite and egg yolk are 2 glass shaders with their individual SSS settings, onto shaders sitting on the planet (the pan has just been sunk into the globe a bit). It's a bit grainy (AA6), and I can't get rid of the yolk 'shadow'.

Hannes

;D ;D ;D ;D  Fantastic!!!!
Strange shadow indeed!

Dune

Yes, just tried again and made some changes (taken out the blackened butter), rendering now.

WAS

Maybe try without any image post settings? I recently had to get a heightmap from a skull and found GISD in defer all or standard caused bizzare wrong shadows along the mesh normals (despite fixing normals or going to extreme mesh resolution from 28mb to 1.4gb and totally smooth.) Definitely a interp issue.

Dune

There's a difference between defer and PT, as you can see here. Updated butter in pan.

René

So I take it SSS only works on liquids? It probably only shows when the light really comes from behind like in a silouette (glowing ears). Ice and snow could be a good way to test it.
Now we have to invent another abbreviation for the simple shape shader.