A scan head once again...

Started by Hannes, November 11, 2019, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Another scan head from here:
https://www.eisko.com/louise/virtual-model

The usual facial expression of a wife at three o' clock in the night, when her husband comes home from the pub. ;)

This model is very interesting, since there are several types of organic tissues. The whole model (except the lashes) uses glass shaders in different variations.
Once again I created my own specularity map. I also converted the normal map into a bump map (this time it seemed to work correctly).
It took quite some time to get the right shader for the teeth. At the beginning it looked a bit like enamelled metal, but eventually I found the (hopefully) right balance between volume density and decay distance.
Also the gums took a while, although they're barely visible. But I found that if it's not correct, it can look rather scary.

And I used my own eyeball model again.

Dune

Oops, happy wife, happy life :P  Better stay in the pub... This is great again, Hannes. Only the hair is a bit flattish, but it's only texture. Knit her a hat!

Hannes

Thanks guys! Yes, Ulco, the hair is ugly. Maybe I'll find or create something for that.

Matt

Quote from: Hannes on November 11, 2019, 09:35:53 AMIt took quite some time to get the right shader for the teeth. At the beginning it looked a bit like enamelled metal, but eventually I found the (hopefully) right balance between volume density and decay distance.

Incredible work Hannes! Regarding the teeth, I was thinking recently about roughness settings for things like this. I think it might be better with a high-roughness base for the SSS, with a separate coating for the surface specularity (e.g. a Reflective Shader). And perhaps that is worth trying for skin as well.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

All elements look rather good! Especially eyes, gums, and mostly the teeth too, though I'm curious if Matt's solution would be even better.

- Oshyan

Hannes

Thanks a lot for your comments. I'm not really sure, what you mean by a high roughness base though. Do you mean the specularity roughness?

WAS

This is wonderful. Definitely showing of SSS nicely. The teeth are a little to pearlescent imo. A a more bumpy (but smooth) roughness map following the enamel surface (which shouldn't be perfect unless she has veneers). Some vertically stretched high contrast soft PF noise could probably added to your base roughness to breakup the glossy smoothness of the teeth.

Matt

Quote from: Hannes on November 12, 2019, 08:02:51 AMThanks a lot for your comments. I'm not really sure, what you mean by a high roughness base though. Do you mean the specularity roughness?

Yeah, specular roughness. A glass shader with a high specular roughness might produce a more realistic subsurface scattering effect, and if you need a glossy coat then you can add that with a separate Reflective Shader. This is probably worth trying on the skin too. It allows you to have two specular lobes.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

Hannes

Thank you, A.N.!!
Matt, I see. I guess, I already used a similar setup (see attached image). I used some extra surface layers with colour unchecked to apply the bump map and specularity map.
The glass shader for the SSS skin has a reflectivity of 0. I only wanted reflections where the map generates them. So the roughness has an effect, even with reflectivity at 0? I'll do some tests.

Hannes

Jordan, these are the teeth in the original rendered size. I already used a bump map for the teeth, but no reflection variety so far. I'll see, how some roughness editing looks.

Hannes

I think, I'm getting old... ::)   I just remembered, that you were mainly speaking of the teeth SSS shader, Matt, and I posted my skin setup!
OK, you said, it might be worth trying that for the skin as well. I'll see...

Hannes

Here is a comparison. The first image shows the original, the second one a (SSS) glass shader with a higher roughness (1) plus a reflective shader with a roughness image. The third one is the same like number 2, except the reflective shader has a higher IOR.

KyL

The second one looks more realistic to me. It's great too see further work on this!