Image map on population

Started by gasbutan, November 11, 2019, 01:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasbutan

I wonder if it is possible to map an imagemap over a population of objects.
If I connect the imagemap shader to the population, each object shows the same pattern. I would like to have the pattern distributed over all objects of the population.
Any idea ?
Thx!

Matt

You can do this with a Transform Input Shader and enabling the checkbox "Use world space (final position)".

You can connect it anywhere between the shader and the connection to the object. The transform affects all shaders feeding into its main input.

Some more info here, although it doesn't specifically mention the world space option:

https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Transform_Input_Shader
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Another option, if you want each object to receive just one colour then you can use the population tinting controls:

https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Population_Colour_Tinting_Techniques
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

The only 'problem' being that it will be Y stretched, whereas PF's work in 3D.

gasbutan

Thank you for the hints. I will try it....

gasbutan

Here is the first test render:
Caustic effects using an image map on a population of objects.
Thanks for helping!

test021.jpg

Dune

That looks really good. The stretching doesn't seem to be a real problem.

WAS

If some sun rays could match the caustics I think it'd be almost perfect. As Ulco said not sure the stretching matters since the shape of the object, looks real.

gasbutan

Another approach:

thanks to the proposal made by WAS I tried to put a card object on top o the surface and mapped the caustics image on it.
Now the lights are distributed automatically over the ground and the fish population. I think ths looks a bit more realistic.
Only the light rays could be stronger.

test021d.jpg

Dune

That looks even better, but can you explain a bit more about where you put the card object? On top of what surface did you put it, water? As an opacity shadow map?

gasbutan

Yes, exactly.
The card is an opacity shadow map slightly above the water surface.
The water surface itself is a plane with a water shader.

WAS

Well the effect and water surface looks great. This is something we have struggled with..what renderer are you using?

gasbutan

Just the standard renderer. No path tracing.

Dune

Thanks. Good to have you on board, you have a totally different 'niche' than others, interesting. I once experimented with caustics as well and used three suns slightly moved apart and in different colors, for a faked prism-like shift in colors on the lake bottom: caustics

gasbutan

Adding chromatic aberration is an interesting idea.
I would keep the center in white and just color the edges in red and blue:

test021e.jpg