anvil cloud

Started by Dune, November 26, 2019, 11:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I can't find the thread this was being discussed, but here's a simple (simplified) setup for an anvil cloud. Cloud itself 10k high at 4500m. Pretty self-explanatory. These things take ages for me to render, so I'm not to keen to dive too much into this.

WAS

Any TGD? May be hard for people to decipher your named [red*] shaders are or doing.

Dune

The most important ones can be read, and the others are quite logical, so it's a piece of cake to build from scratch. The gamma down is not very important, may be left out. Vector displacement is a few hunderd meters in all directions by a medium cloud sized fractal, or whatever you want to distort the base curves. Rotate Z (both) is just to rotate the inverted funnel and top cloud to say 20 degrees. Cloud fractal breakup is just to breakup the grey zone that is made in the distribution shader with a maximum altitude (for the lowest cloud section) and softness at will. Cloud shader itself is just basic too, as said 10k high at half height.
Experimentation is good anyway in TG.

RogueNZ

Awesome result Dune, looking forward to using some of these tips in my set up. Original thread here for anyone interested https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27199.msg271413.html#new

WAS

Quote from: Dune on November 27, 2019, 02:51:19 AMThe most important ones can be read, and the others are quite logical, so it's a piece of cake to build from scratch. The gamma down is not very important, may be left out. Vector displacement is a few hunderd meters in all directions by a medium cloud sized fractal, or whatever you want to distort the base curves. Rotate Z (both) is just to rotate the inverted funnel and top cloud to say 20 degrees. Cloud fractal breakup is just to breakup the grey zone that is made in the distribution shader with a maximum altitude (for the lowest cloud section) and softness at will. Cloud shader itself is just basic too, as said 10k high at half height.
Experimentation is good anyway in TG.
When you sit there and talk about "infinite possibilities" it would be best to show exactly what you mean. People can be so easily lost trying to REcreate the example. And it's interesting how if we share TGCs we should share a TGD of exact setup, but if we share a screenshot we're cool with even vaguer stuff like node screenshots (one of TGs weak spots in understanding), and frankly your arrangement of nodes has always been a mess (the TH benchmark is a shame example of that). If you want to help... help. You have great work Ulco, but you're also an example of this softwares problem. Faaaarr to many pickup the software and leave it.

Dune

I am not going into an endless discussion again, but I can't remember talking about infinite possibilities in this thread (maybe some other), and you can't put infinite possibilities in a single tgd.
I am also not a teacher who takes people by the hand, but merely help out if I can, or give some hints. Not obliged in any way to supply tgd's. I want users to experiment a little, that's how I've learned. Novice users should get to know the very basics of TG first from ALL the stuff available (hundreds of tgd's, tgc's, decriptions, and discussions in all these threads), then dive into more advanced stuff. And I don't think that a novice will want to make anvil clouds right away (I can't fly an airplane after a few driving lessons). Do some ordinary land/cloudscapes first, and get to know how nodes work. Then you'll easily replicate stuff like this screenshot with only one or two open variables.
My nodes being a mess is up to me, btw. I'm not putting time into arranging nodes, which I can perfectly understand. Mostly it's not even possible with so many crossing links. Naming is the key.
And finally, I don't think it's appropriate to call me an example of this software's problem.

But I will see if I can retrieve the example and post a tgd. Let's see how many downloads occur, as the place is virtually dead anyway, I'm afraid.

End of discussion.

Dune

N-drju

To be honest, some of the features here may be achieved by a SSS network. Which, by the way, is probably a way a novice would make such a cloud.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 01, 2019, 06:35:52 AMTgd.
Hey, thanks man...been meaning to try one of these, now I have a base...you're most generous.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

cyphyr

Thankyou for this. I tried the screenshot and must've missed something :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 01, 2019, 02:21:26 AMI am not going into an endless discussion again, but I can't remember talking about infinite possibilities in this thread (maybe some other), and you can't put infinite possibilities in a single tgd.
I am also not a teacher who takes people by the hand, but merely help out if I can, or give some hints. Not obliged in any way to supply tgd's. I want users to experiment a little, that's how I've learned. Novice users should get to know the very basics of TG first from ALL the stuff available (hundreds of tgd's, tgc's, decriptions, and discussions in all these threads), then dive into more advanced stuff. And I don't think that a novice will want to make anvil clouds right away (I can't fly an airplane after a few driving lessons). Do some ordinary land/cloudscapes first, and get to know how nodes work. Then you'll easily replicate stuff like this screenshot with only one or two open variables.
My nodes being a mess is up to me, btw. I'm not putting time into arranging nodes, which I can perfectly understand. Mostly it's not even possible with so many crossing links. Naming is the key.
And finally, I don't think it's appropriate to call me an example of this software's problem.

But I will see if I can retrieve the example and post a tgd. Let's see how many downloads occur, as the place is virtually dead anyway, I'm afraid.

End of discussion.

All I'm going to say to that, is screenshots is trying to be more of a teacher than TGD. TGD is just an example. An example is good when talking about anything unfamiliar.