Confused about Turbo Squid's "royalty free license"

Started by N-drju, December 08, 2019, 07:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I can't seem to grasp whether I am or am not able to sell my art that features objects from Turbo Squid. The royalty free-licensed ones.

Maybe one of the native speakers around the forum can help me understand it and translate it into more user-friendly language. Please? :(

https://blog.turbosquid.com/royalty-free-license/#stock-photography
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

cyphyr

I am no lawyer but this is my understanding.

Yes you can sell artwork created with stock media.

You can not sell stock media products created with other stock media products.

so

If you have created a finished piece of artwork that is ready to hang on a wall then you can use any stock media in its creation and sell the final artwork.

however

If the image that you have created is intended to be used as a creative element in further works then you can not sell that because it uses elements that you did not create.

Imagine if it was a font.
You could create a poster that uses the font and sell that.
But you could not alter the font in some way and sell that.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on December 08, 2019, 08:42:28 AMImagine if it was a font.
You could create a poster that uses the font and sell that.
But you could not alter the font in some way and sell that.

I mean, it depends on the license specifics. For example SIL requires any derivative in another format to be renamed to something else, constituting a whole new font, but based on another. That's why there are so many specialized licenses with fonts, because there is only so much variation to typefaces that are even possible without actually mapping someones unique handwriting (like many fonts based on script, from manuscripts). A lot of fonts are just resells with minor alterations, or extended monospace and special characters.

But you're correct in the case of TurboSquid.