Ad Astra - To The Stars

Started by Ariel DK, December 05, 2019, 01:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ariel DK

I saw the movie last night with my girlfriend. she is not a fan of sci-fi movies, and this was the 1st one we saw together.
i was surprised how she get so much more affected by the story than me (she never knew his father).
i think is a unique movie, is not epic, and is not comparable with any other, is simply sad, and thats was wonderful.

I would like to know guys, your opinion about the movie, or what do you think about the "science" behind, do you think that we gonna reach a future like that in this century?
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

WAS

I want to see it soon, I really like the cast picked, and the idea, is definitely different from the run-of-the-mill pseudo-modern type space travels.

N-drju

Note: Spoilers marked with an invisible ink (highlight to read).

Future technology - yes. I believe this is possible.

Space antenna / elevator is still a hot topic in the science circles and it may be a thing in a few centuries. When viewing the movie, I was sitting at the edge of my chair watching this construct towering above the planet (disintegrating, sadly) and the astronauts climbing the ladders, seemingly still on Earth, but technically already in space!

One more thing that I, as a frequent flier, really liked as well was the future vision of traveling to the moon, going to the starport and... checking in at gate #9... Like it was a regular airplane! :D Extremely fun vision and indeed - something that humanity works very hard at doing.

As far as an anti-matter drive, the cause of the "strokes", is concerned? Well, this is still a poorly understood notion in physics and I doubt we can (safely) harness its power. If anything, instead of a peaceful source of energy, I'm afraid that one of the world powers will simply develop an antimatter bomb. Effectively outclassing any nuclear weapon. :(

What was a tremendous experience for me was the fact that we have actually been to a 4D theater to watch this movie. Feeling the wind in our hair when the main protagonist was falling off the ISA. Experiencing each road bump on the moon's surface and all explosions during the moon chase scene.  :D Or a short, sharp blow of air right next to your ear when a gun was fired. :D This was the first time I have been to a 4D show and this was a fantastic experience.

But this is all of the positives I have to say about this movie...

To toss a fly in the ointment, this was the most god-damn boring film in my life...!!! >:(

There was nothing really happening in this movie at all! A lot of protagonist's personal musings, reflections and complaints on / about his family life. Overload of philosophical nonsense, not quite enough action.

Yes, you can make a slow-paced and successful sci-fi movie but it is very hard and Brad Pitt failed miserably at it. It was just J.Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" (which bored me as well) translated into a space setting. Just compare the two. It's the same plot, step by step.

I also find the ending of this movie to be extremely anti-climatic, plus unrealistic. Anti-climatic because of a terribly anemic acting on Pitt's and Jones' part during the "reconciliation" scene. Unrealistic, because a real astronaut would have never managed to return to a ship just by f@&$% jumping off a spinning antenna... ::) All of these rocks would have slowed him down after just a few meters... More of a fantasy than a science (huoy, huoy) fiction...

Despite all of these interesting technological gimmicks, despite the 4D movie and an initial "spark" that I have felt in the first few segments, the potential of this film was, in my view, entirely wasted. Were it not for shaking chair and wind gusts, I would have probably fallen asleep...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

sboerner

Quote. . . the potential of this film was, in my view, entirely wasted.
Sadly, I agree, but I also understand how the story could be meaningful to someone with a similar family experience.

Ariel DK, have you seen Interstellar? It is similar in some superficial ways but IMHO it is a much superior film, and it packs a surprisingly emotional punch.

Arthur C. Clark "invented" the space elevator and described it in some detail 40 years ago in The Fountains of Paradise.

N-drju

Quote from: sboerner on December 05, 2019, 09:22:29 PMSadly, I agree, but I also understand how the story could be meaningful to someone with a similar family experience.

I fully agree that the emotional aspect might be important to some of the audience. But I also think that one doesn't have to put film's action in space to convey the message. Considering that space adventure was, in fact, one of the main reasons why some people have bought the tickets.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Ariel DK

Quote from: sboerner on December 05, 2019, 09:22:29 PM...

Ariel DK, have you seen Interstellar? It is similar in some superficial ways but IMHO it is a much superior film, and it packs a surprisingly emotional punch.

Arthur C. Clark "invented" the space elevator and described it in some detail 40 years ago in The Fountains of Paradise.
Of course i saw it! one of the best sci-fi movies in recent time, like Arrival, The Martian, Gravity, or not space-related, BR 2049.
They are all pure sci-fi movies. i can put Ad Astra in this ranking, but in last place, in the first one, i would put Interstellar

Unfortunately i know about the work of Arthur C. Clark, but i never read Fountains of Paradise. I'm very related with space elevator, indeed, i'm a reader from ISEC  ;)

Ariel DK

@N-drju Im not 100% agree with your critic review, but is very acceptable. i think that usually is mistake expect to much action from a sci-fi movie.

BTW you're right about the story itself: there is not happen too much really. i expected a much more deeper end, or that the Pitt character even die. nothing of that happened.
Is a movie about solitude, and even showing you all that kind of space stuff, the only thing the movie really wants to show you is how solitaire is the space.
Is not about love (interstellar), is not about courage (the martian), is not even about time (arrival), is just about solitude, and considering this, i think their job is done.
Its shame that James Grey doesn't explore all the potential of the universe he created for the film...

sboerner

QuoteUnfortunately i know about the work of Arthur C. Clark, but i never read Fountains of Paradise. I'm very related with space elevator, indeed, i'm a reader from ISEC  ;)
Interesting link, thanks. I'll be checking that out.

Interstellar and Arrival are my two favorite space movies of late. In some ways it seems we may be in a golden age of science-fiction films. There are many, many bad movies out there. But the exceptions are real gems.

Another one is Europa Report, which (to me at least) does the best job of realistically depicting space exploration. (No worm holes, and no leaping from spinning antennas.)

N-drju

@ Ariel DK - Yes, I did feel that. The solitude you mention, the emptiness (in a positive sense) was there alright.

I do admit though that I understood the ending differently. I thought that there actually were some alien civilizations beyond our solar system and Clifford was angry and frustrated because it turned out they have all went extinct, decomposed or destroyed themselves. Thus, leaving us, aspiring interstellar race, with no friends to talk to, making the Universe a sad place to be. Or, a cemetary of crumbled civilizations to put it differently.

@ sboerner - "Europa Report" wasn't that truthful, considering it features alien life that we have never discovered so far. Officialy at least. ;) Plus, wormholes don't really have to be a work of fiction only. We just might lack something to produce them, that's all.

otakar

Includes spoilers, but it's a good presentation, IMHO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpDoEWEOALQ

After watching it I decided against spending the money to see it in a theater.

cyphyr

A lot of Terragen in Ad Astra, the Earth, Moon, Mars and Jupiter.

Lots of fun to work on.
However, I do agree with the general sentiment.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Ariel DK

Quote from: otakar on December 09, 2019, 03:57:10 PMIncludes spoilers, but it's a good presentation, IMHO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpDoEWEOALQ

After watching it I decided against spending the money to see it in a theater.
Yeah, it's a good video but, why did you see it before see the movie? lol

Ariel DK

Quote from: cyphyr on December 09, 2019, 04:36:31 PMA lot of Terragen in Ad Astra, the Earth, Moon, Mars and Jupiter.

Lots of fun to work on.
However, I do agree with the general sentiment.
I definitely need to see a VFX breakdown of this movie...