snow against side of, say trees

Started by Dune, December 21, 2019, 08:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyL

I second that, and I would love to be able to use it on object as well. Ideally something to get the curvature of the object, which could then be warped and plugged back to mix materials.... No sure you could do that without raytracing though :/

Hetzen

Quote from: KyL on December 23, 2019, 12:03:15 PMI second that, and I would love to be able to use it on object as well. Ideally something to get the curvature of the object, which could then be warped and plugged back to mix materials.... No sure you could do that without raytracing though :

You can warp these processes already. The issue was limiting the facing to a general north slope, which we were thinking would need a smoothed version of the terrain. Or are you talking about looking at one model to be applied to another?

WAS

Quote from: Hetzen on December 23, 2019, 12:46:03 PM... talking about looking at one model to be applied to another?
I think that's it. Least for me. There is a lot of flexibility cut out with these limitations. Certainly a lot of creativity.

Hetzen

True, but there are usually work arounds. I'm wondering if the best way to define a northern slope more accurately would be to animate a light travelling in the arc of the sun from morning to evening. Then render a series of top down views of your landscape, with all other lighting switched off, so you create a black and white mask of where the sun hits the terrain. Then combine say 12 sequential frames of the suns positions, to use as a mask for your snow / planting / weathering areas.

WAS

Quote from: Hetzen on December 23, 2019, 01:02:07 PMTrue, but there are usually work arounds. I'm wondering if the best way to define a northern slope more accurately would be to animate a light travelling in the arc of the sun from morning to evening. Then render a series of top down views of your landscape, with all other lighting switched off, so you create a black and white mask of where the sun hits the terrain. Then combine say 12 sequential frames of the suns positions, to use as a mask for your snow / planting / weathering areas.

That's not a bad idea, certainly a unique approach. Perhaps not the most effecient lol.

Hetzen

Probably not, maybe just one render of the sun in a position that gives you what you need for that image.

Dune

It would be cool to be able to use a sideline with those sun shadows, use the last node to get a greyscale mask and apply to main line. But then you can still only use actual sun angle. Normals would be better. Smoothed normals...
If you need to render a mask first, want render should that be? Ortho, I presume. But that wouldn't get you complete coverage. Normal render would hide areas, where those 'certain-slope' veggies would not grow then.

Dune

Something I don't understand. When taking a (smoothed) vector and using one component to color an angle, adding a later(!) Pf still messes up that angle with 'subangles'. Smoothing a basic finely displaced terrain shader also doesn't work with the smoothing shader. At least not in this 5 minute test.
Coloring angles with a visualize normal works, but I couldn't separate the colors to masks.
Anyway, here's something to play with. I have to devote my time to some biggish commissions now, so won't be able to pursue this much.