Cloud render scaling setting option?

Started by Kadri, December 31, 2019, 09:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

I wanted to render faster by rendering the clouds separately in lower resolution and comping later.

Then i thought if there is a possibility that you could integrate something like this directly into Terragen as a render-cloud option?
@Matt is this possible? If not, is it too hard , or no gain etc. in that way?
Curious especially that i think you have sure thought about this.

Or are the quality options already doing something like this?

Kadri

Curious how many of you are using Terragen at this hour by the way...hopefully you are having other kind of fun now :D

At least my renders are now a little Baileys supported...Looks like Terragen is rendering faster ;D

Wish a happy new year to all of you.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on December 31, 2019, 09:58:00 AMI wanted to render faster by rendering the clouds separately in lower resolution and comping later.

Then i thought if there is a possibility that you could integrate something like this directly into Terragen as a render-cloud option?
@Matt is this possible? If not, is it too hard , or no gain etc. in that way?
Curious especially that i think you have sure thought about this.

Or are the quality options already doing something like this?

That's actually a intereting idea, I think. Do you mean like almost like a render element where you define the resolution (dimensions) of the render for the atmosphere. Lets say you had a scene at 4096, but the cloud layer render would be 1920 or something? Separated like layer elements?

Also I haven't gotten too much TG work done today. Been trying to diagnose why my server keeps dying with my latest galaxy animation. x.x it's crashed three times on this particular TGD but renders last attempts TGD fine.  About to start something else before heading out to new years celebrations.

Kadri

Quote from: WAS on December 31, 2019, 03:11:18 PM...Do you mean like almost like a render element where you define the resolution (dimensions) of the render for the atmosphere.
Lets say you had a scene at 4096, but the cloud layer render would be 1920 or something? Separated like layer elements?

Yes exactly something like that Jordan.

Kadri

Jordan you know these things, but... i had some problems with my new AMD rig at first.
Sudden crashes, blue screens...

I had to use the memory at slower speed (DDR4 3000 but i use them as 2666)
and even underclocked the CPU from 3.7 to 3.65 (this might not be necessarily actually but playing safe for now)
I had no problems after this at all.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on December 31, 2019, 03:29:05 PMJordan you know these things, but... i had some problems with my new AMD rig at first.
Sudden crashes, blue screens...

I had to use the memory at slower speed (DDR4 3000 but i use them as 2666)
and even underclocked the CPU from 3.7 to 3.65 (this might not be necessarily actually but playing safe for now)
I had no problems after this at all.

I think I should take this advise into serious consideration. One thing that entirely escaped my mind is my rack is not adequately cooled. My previous server was a dedicated rack (on it's side with better cooling for video editing/rendering) It's probably getting too hot. With previous renders only one CPU would hit 100% load, the other would idle around 45-75% load on all cores. I had thought maybe this was the Terragen Node just scaling to what it thinks the server allows, but now I'm thinking performance impacted by heat buildup. They said the room is AC cooled, but with the other racks and only one or two intake cans and CPU fans, it's probably taosty in there. Lol

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on December 31, 2019, 03:20:35 PMYes exactly something like that Jordan.

Also more on topic, I think this would be a fantastic feature that would save a lot of time in places. I know some programs you can comp with have gotten really good about up scaling layers. Like After effects detail preservation features and other plugins.

Matt

In a way, Terragen can do this with the adaptive sampler. The adaptive sampler interpolates samples, and can interpolate samples that have a spacing of more than a pixel if the "min samples per pixel" is less than 1. It won't be as fast as rendering a lower resolution image, but is much faster than fully sampling every pixel. The Robust Adaptive Sampler is usually better than the Legacy Adaptive Sampler for this purpose.

Of course, if there are large enough differences between adjacent samples, the adaptive sampler will take more samples instead of interpolating. The pixel noise threshold defines what "large enough" means. To encourage the sampler to interpolate instead of taking more samples (to simulate a low resolution render) you need to reduce the noise in the sky, so you'll need to increase the atmosphere and cloud quality settings to the point where they don't produce much noise between adjacent samples. But, if you think about it, you'd need to get your pixels to be fairly noise-free in a low resolution render too, otherwise it would look blotchy when you upscale it. Whichever approach you take, the cloud and atmosphere need to be sampled well enough to avoid excessive noise.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.