SSS UV Blurriness

Started by WAS, January 10, 2020, 02:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm trying to understand why when you use UV subsurface scattering; textures look slightly blurred? Can this be avoided? Would smart-sharpening with high-pass in PS help?

WAS

Here's a great example from Ulco's recent share:

Dune

I think it's quite logical as initially relatively hard light/colors and shadows are spread over the decay distance, resulting in some 'blurring'.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on January 11, 2020, 03:14:40 AMI think it's quite logical as initially relatively hard light/colors and shadows are spread over the decay distance, resulting in some 'blurring'.

I guess that makes some sense, but don't notice this in other software. Perhaps because in these software there is a hard transparent surface over the SSS?

In your examples there is a serious loss of "mole" definition, and it almost looks as if some tones are simply lost.

For example no SSS example I have downloaded looks like it's example in TG.

Another difference is most SSS examples use solid tones for SSS and a simple SSS density map. They don't often use UV images.

Dune

Probably merging (adding?) a normal skin and SSS would keep the hard surface, and show its depth.