trying to create a metal shader without textures.

Started by Beep the Meep, January 21, 2020, 04:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: WAS on January 22, 2020, 04:23:27 PMEdit: I took a look at Martin's article, and it's a great resource, but doesn't apply to Terragen. For example the IOR for silver and gold right out the door in even their revised chart, would not work in Terragen. In fact they're in the range I use for dull rock and wood type stuff.

I clearly stated that in my post, actually ;)

WAS

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 23, 2020, 09:47:15 AM
Quote from: WAS on January 22, 2020, 04:23:27 PMEdit: I took a look at Martin's article, and it's a great resource, but doesn't apply to Terragen. For example the IOR for silver and gold right out the door in even their revised chart, would not work in Terragen. In fact they're in the range I use for dull rock and wood type stuff.

I clearly stated that in my post, actually ;)

Not clearly, at all. In fact you made no real distinction, in addition to no benefit to the post than. We are talking about IOR in Terragen and what's needed. Clearly KyL knows this going 20, or I above 2. So besides just trying to assert some superiority negligently, what was your post about? You added nothing including a suggestion on topic with the post. Just trying to argue?

sboerner

Quoteit's just that TG's shader model is dielectric, so we need to cheat.
Seems clear to me. ;)

Honestly, Was, please take a break. Everyone who posts on this forum means well.

WAS

Quote from: sboerner on January 23, 2020, 05:04:11 PM
Quote from: undefinedit's just that TG's shader model is dielectric, so we need to cheat.
Seems clear to me. ;)

Honestly, Was, please take a break. Everyone who posts on this forum means well.

Not regarding posts to me. Lol They're passive aggressive.

Additionally, that's not clear in the slightest to someone trying to figure out the shaders (not even me, these specifics mean jack-all to using IOR from any source in TG, which simply doesn't work, so no need to debate about those specifics and not about the specifics relevant to TG). That's incredibly technical. Lol "And cheating" is no explanation of how to use them in TG. Which entirely nullifies the tangent post.

Matt

WAS, it's unfortunate that you aren't aware of the irony in your statements. This is the kind of language that got you in trouble last time. I strongly suggest you come back on another day when you are in a different mood, otherwise it won't end well.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Oh threats now? Lmao I have said nothing wrong, in fact facts. Martin is mad at me. And been following me around just like Oshyan to leave long winded technicalities just to start stuff or try to be the "actually I said that" in a vague and not explained way. Lol like here a whole irrelevant rant to the topic about IOR in TG. And not even how it could relate....

Technical drivel for Superiority is not helpful here... Especially for obvious novice questions.

Matt

Quote from: WAS on January 23, 2020, 06:57:44 PMOh threats now?

They don't compare to the ones that you've sent me, so I won't feel bad about it.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on January 23, 2020, 06:59:30 PM
Quote from: WAS on January 23, 2020, 06:57:44 PMOh threats now?

They don't compare to the ones that you've sent me, so I won't feel bad about it.

Over these actions here, how ironic. Too. Lol What have I done wrong, you need to be very clear. All I've said is it's not clear. It wasn't too me, I doubt it will be to someone trying to use Terragen' IOR which is irrelevant from sources, seemingly being a novice in the software, or even more with 3D graphics. It could have been faaaar clearer.

Matt

Quote from: WAS on January 23, 2020, 07:03:56 PMOver these actions here, how ironic. Too. Lol What have I done wrong, you need to be very clear.

I don't need to be anything but I will try one last time because I would want someone to do that for me if the situation were reversed. So here's a prime example:

Quote from: WAS on January 23, 2020, 02:03:03 PMSo besides just trying to assert some superiority negligently, what was your post about? You added nothing including a suggestion on topic with the post. Just trying to argue?

For more detail, refer back to the emails we exchanged last year. I tried very hard to explain it to you back then. I won't go through it a second time.

QuoteAll I've said is it's not clear.

You said a lot more than that.

QuoteIt wasn't too me, I doubt it will be to someone trying to use Terragen' IOR which is irrelevant from sources, seemingly being a novice in the software, or even more with 3D graphics. It could have been faaaar clearer.

It could have been far clearer to you. But you don't know how useful Martin's post is to other people. You don't speak for everybody, you don't know how other people think or feel. They understand things you do not, no matter how hard it is for you to accept that possibility. The difference is, most other don't tell you when you are talking rubbish because it's not polite, whereas you can't stop yourself from telling other people when you think they are. This is bullying and it had better not continue on this forum.

Furthermore, I don't owe you anything after the crap you pulled on me last year, so don't expect me to explain any further.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on January 23, 2020, 07:40:38 PMFor more detail, refer back to the emails we exchanged last year. I tried very hard to explain it to you back then. I won't go through it a second time.

How about no? That's irrelevant. Martin was chiming in on the IOR discussion. Then had to passively aggressively say it's clear. Well it wasn't to me, and I was the one that said it, and was quoted. Not the OP. Regardless though, the OPs post, since we're talking about "clear-lies" to your last bit; his post seems to clearly imply he doesn't understand that aspect, so not connecting real world IOR to Terragen doesn't seem to have any impact on the discussion... So what ARE good values to use? When people are highly technical, it's hard for them to think outside this scope in relation to learning. Why it takes a certain mind to teach.

Also regarding

Quote from: Matt on January 23, 2020, 07:40:38 PMI don't need to be anything but I will try one last time because I would want someone to do that for me if the situation were reversed.
Personally you can do whatever you want to, but when it comes to liabilities on administrative action on peoples accounts and your rules, you should reconsider. That could be costly, all for arrogance.

Matt

Quote from: WAS on January 23, 2020, 08:04:19 PMPersonally you can do whatever you want to, but when it comes to liabilities on administrative action on peoples accounts and your rules, you should reconsider. That could be costly, all for arrogance.

Notwithstanding your interpretation of the law, my suggestion remains.

WAS

Streisand effects aside, what is being accomplished here? Typical PS instigation tactics? I still don't see what the discussion was about in relation to TG, or how KyL may be using excessive IOR which may increase render time to achieve the desired result.

I mean in general we know physical IOR doesn't relate to TG, why we're talking the numbers we were.

WAS

And it's really interesting you chime in to harass me about not thinking things are clear for the topic, when you could be inputting. You know your IOR the best. What would be the correct IOR for a shiny metal, dull metal, chrome, etc? Or is my input about past materials and my own more or less the trick?

Dune

Some action in the forum! But not the sort of action I (for one) need. It used to be a lot more decent, once.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on January 24, 2020, 12:59:46 AMSome action in the forum! But not the sort of action I (for one) need. It used to be a lot more decent, once.
They never really have. All the past is public. Lol It's routine users get fed up with the PS. I've been here since 2014 and a file harvester since like 2010.

And how can you not be mature enough at your age to realize you are instigating, perpetuating the problem and somehow think you are not part of it? Lol

Yearly unrest or couple times a year in these forums since about a year after nothing was done to TG2. It's like a holiday for this community.