Excavating the Deep Cut

Started by sboerner, January 21, 2020, 04:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

Here is the contractor. This figure is based on a real person, but one for which (conveniently) there are no surviving portraits. So I have some latitude. His name was Darius Comstock, a Quaker, pioneer, entrepreneur, inventor, abolitionist. He led a very interesting life.

Almost done. Just need one more figure to represent the chief engineer.

luvsmuzik

Quite the waistcoat! Such an interesting work. Good job! :)

sboerner

Thanks! I've spent a lot of time lately going through old 19th-century tailor's guides and pattern books. Really confusing at first! But starting to make sense.

Dune

What a great figure again! Working with patterns is pretty hard indeed. Even trying to get the parts together in an orderly way is sometimes harder than (I) thought. Especially with more complex parts, it's pretty difficult to stitch the right ones together, and get the measurements in order. And when moving a point to give more leeway (say under the arms), you have to update all line lengths.
So I give you credit for your suit! And the rest.

mhaze

Superb work, great attention to detail and excellent research too!

DocCharly65

Quote from: mhaze on May 30, 2020, 03:58:24 AMSuperb work, great attention to detail and excellent research too!
I couldn't describe it better!
Great! :)

sboerner

Thanks, everyone. The engineer is a couple rungs up the ladder, so he'll have a top hat and a nicer shirt.  :)

QuoteEspecially with more complex parts, it's pretty difficult to stitch the right ones together, and get the measurements in order. And when moving a point to give more leeway (say under the arms), you have to update all line lengths.

Yes, and often it's not easy to figure out which seam to tweak first. My respect for clothing designers, dressmakers and tailors has increased considerably since I've starting playing around with this. I keep a calculator open and usually work with measurements turned on. It's starting to get easier.

Jo Kariboo

Congratulations, I just watched the whole TOPIC. It's a colossal amount of work and very well done. :D

Hannes

Fantastic character and great tailoring!!!

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

sboerner

The chief engineer, who will be checking up on the contractor's work.

This is the last human character. I want to add another horse or two and that will be all of the models.

Dune

Great! They really look old-fashioned, and it's not only the clothes.

Kadri

Sweet ones again!

You two could print your figures as real 3D objects too. Would be very nice to look at i am sure :)

sboerner

Thanks! That's an interesting idea, for sure. On the other hand, 2D is more than enough of a challenge . . .

sboerner

This is probably the final version . . . time to call this one done.

Looking forward to the next one (actually I've started already). Compared to this one it should be a piece of cake!