Excavating the Deep Cut

Started by sboerner, January 21, 2020, 04:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Never get tired of this, Steve, so keep on posting. That guy looks great, you get better at every stage. The folds in the blouse are superb. Did you do this with Marvelous Designer?

sboerner

Thanks, Ulco. Yep, the clothing is done with Marvelous Designer. The brilliant thing is that it's pattern-based, so if you can find historical sources for patterns you are set. No excuses now . . .

Dune

And the folds? Are they inside MD?

sboerner

The folds are all inside MD. The clothing is designed using a t-pose of the model. Once it's ready you can place a posed version of the same model (the vertices must match exactly) and then morph between the two. The simulation handles the clothing during the morph. You can also import animations but I haven't tried that yet.

Clothing textures and a light wrinkle map were added in Painter.

Dune

Thanks Steve. Never realized it also did such folds!

luvsmuzik

I had quite a bit of fun with this before the big C diagnosis, Nov of 2018.
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25713.0.html

I went through the trial version and put off buying due to graphics card issues. I would love to be rich enough to just use this program exclusively on one unit. I am a seamstress IRL, making women's and children's clothing, and simple men's designs. I made dresses, formals, suit jackets and trousers for women back in the day IRL. Then doll clothes for the infamous Cabbage Patchers....

I think, like you said there is a repository of old clothing patterns from way back afaik. Tell me if you get in a jam, and I can graph paper you something. It seems as if you have a good handle on this already.

My sis has made 50 quilts since retiring 2 years ago.....free motion stuff.

sboerner

Thanks, Luvs. I don't know how I missed your thread when I was looking into MD earlier this year. My understanding is that the program is a spinoff and that the company specializes in CAD programs for clothing designers. So it's designed to be used by people (unlike me) who know what they are doing. I can see why you'd like it. The interface is very intuitive (perhaps the best I've seen in a 3D application) and I'm learning the terminology and figuring things out.

Thanks for the offer and I'm sure I'll have questions! Some of the patterns I've run across are completely inscrutable.

sboerner

After disabling displacements and shading to speed up navigation in the 3D view, placing the mannequin placeholders went pretty quickly. I wasn't sure how this idea would work, but it looks like it will be a real time-saver. Now I know how many models are needed and exactly where they will go. (Allowing for adjustments once they are replaced with real models, of course.)

As of now there are 26 unique models. Seems like a lot but I think it's doable. Counting duplicates and populations there will be more than 100 figures in the finished scene.

Dune

I sometimes use landmarks for placeholders, but these are nicer. Only thing you have to think of is the (subtle?) displacement when placing the models. That would give them a different Y than in this render.
I had some 'trouble' lately when changing the geometry of the ground after having edited some pops. Some instances sank into ground then. One the one hand it would be great if an edited instance would automatically sit on ground again like the rest of the pop, but on other occasions it wouldn't. Checkbox (auto-sit) perhaps...

DocCharly65

Wow, what a project!

Oh, Ulco is so right! Good luck with that! Hope no pop or obj vanishes somewhere...

sboerner

QuoteI had some 'trouble' lately when changing the geometry of the ground after having edited some pops. Some instances sank into ground then. One the one hand it would be great if an edited instance would automatically sit on ground again like the rest of the pop, but on other occasions it wouldn't. Checkbox (auto-sit) perhaps...

So true. And because there is no planet surface in this scene, there are no compute terrain nodes to connect to. So population placement has been . . . interesting. In some cases attaching them to objects works, in others I've had to set them to float. Either way I'm adjusting the Y position manually, sometimes by instance. Don't worry! I won't let anyone sink into the surface.

Creating the human figures is going much more quickly than expected. Almost all of the poses are done, and about a third of the models are shaded and ready to place. It's become an assembly line. Just waiting for some reference material to arrive by mail to finish up some of the clothing.

DocCharly65

Quote from: sboerner on May 03, 2020, 04:14:20 PMDon't worry! I won't let anyone sink into the surface
Thats good to know!! ;D

Cool worker with that hammer!

luvsmuzik

Awesome! I have to be honest and tell you I got motivated with this build and a couple of others currently. If you look close you will spot a hammer in my new ATV rover tool box. ha! 

Keep up this terrific stuff! :)

Dune

Wonderful guy! I love the shading on this, a bit of dirt, nice folds (yeah!) and bump.

N-drju

Wonderful models sboerner. Why, even the "preview" shot above looks interesting on its own!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"