Model update in preview window

Started by gao_jian11, February 15, 2020, 03:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gao_jian11

Why does the preview window update the grid frequently? Even if no changes were made to the model, only the camera parameters or atmospheric parameter preview windows were adjusted. This will consume a lot of CPU resources. Although there is a pause button, it is not activated by default. I feel that updating the viewport grid with a smarter mechanism will greatly improve efficiency. In more complex scenarios, when you look for the right perspective, the model updates can be very inefficient.Or am I wondering if there are some clever settings?

Matt

This is an area that needs improvement.

If you are working with things that don't affect the terrain, background sphere or other displaceable objects, I recommend enabling RTP. Most changes can be previewed with RTP but it doesn't update the terrain geometry until you exit RTP mode (at the timing of writing, v4.4).
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on February 19, 2020, 12:20:19 AMThis is an area that needs improvement.

If you are working with things that don't affect the terrain, background sphere or other displaceable objects, I recommend enabling RTP. Most changes can be previewed with RTP but it doesn't update the terrain geometry until you exit RTP mode (at the timing of writing, v4.4).

What does however is using "Up Level" unfortunately.

Matt

Quote from: WAS on February 19, 2020, 12:59:34 AMWhat does however is using "Up Level" unfortunately.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote, because "Up Level" does not update the terrain geometry while RTP is enabled.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on February 19, 2020, 01:44:09 AM
Quote from: WAS on February 19, 2020, 12:59:34 AMWhat does however is using "Up Level" unfortunately.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote, because "Up Level" does not update the terrain geometry while RTP is enabled.

Maybe you don't understand the original post. I think he's talking about the preview restarting in general. Which is what I was referring to. Geometry or not, it's a waste of time, and resources. Only way around it is pausing it, except for when it was still aborting threads while paused awhile back. Forget which version.

gao_jian11

我开始使用rtp观察一些颜色变化和云更新,但是我经常忘记将其关闭,这会导致渲染时崩溃。一个简单且可实现的建议:单击渲染时自动关闭rtp,默认情况下手动更新预览窗口。现在我的amd2990崩溃太多了。感谢Matt和WAS。

我已经关注tg多年了,我决心为此付出更多的努力。许多基本问题仍未解决。总结之后,会有很多问题。我知道我一定会得到大家的帮助。这里有很多热心用户。

sboerner

Quote我开始使用rtp观察一些颜色变化和云更新,但是我经常忘记将其关闭,这会导致渲染时崩溃。一个简单且可实现的建议:单击渲染时自动关闭rtp,默认情况下手动更新预览窗口。现在我的amd2990崩溃太多了。感谢Matt和WAS。

我已经关注tg多年了,我决心为此付出更多的努力。许多基本问题仍未解决。总结之后,会有很多问题。我知道我一定会得到大家的帮助。这里有很多热心用户。
Google translation:

QuoteI started using rtp to observe some color changes and cloud updates, but I often forget to turn it off, which causes crashes when rendering. A simple and achievable suggestion: Close rtp automatically when you click render, and manually update the preview window by default. Now my amd2990 crashes too much. Thanks Matt and WAS.

I have been following tg for years and I am determined to put more effort into this. Many basic issues remain unresolved. After summing up, there will be many questions. I know I will definitely get everyone's help. There are many enthusiastic users here.
Good ideas, and complete agreement with you on the value of this forum. It is an invaluable resource.

WAS

I've seen these crashes sometimes too. Mainly when rendering I try to leave TG alone but sometimes I fiddle with ideas off to the side and will have a crash with unhooked shaders. I wonder if this is caused by using Up Level or other ques that make the RTP refresh while a render is going.

I'm still a little unsure why when the Render button or Render Sequence button is pressed it can't call the pause RTP/preview function.

Dune

Better open a second version and fiddle with that. I always leave TG alone when rendering. But the too frequent preview updates annoy me too sometimes, but then it's one click to pause it, or just use the node area. No big deal.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on February 20, 2020, 03:19:07 AMBetter open a second version and fiddle with that. I always leave TG alone when rendering. But the too frequent preview updates annoy me too sometimes, but then it's one click to pause it, or just use the node area. No big deal.
Yeah I usually do. I'll set to 10 cores and leave 2 for another TGD sessions or whatever else I'm doing in the background unless I'm going to bed.

Matt

Quote from: WAS on February 20, 2020, 12:58:09 AMI'm still a little unsure why when the Render button or Render Sequence button is pressed it can't call the pause RTP/preview function.

It should. I have never seen the RTP do anything while a render is in progress, but if there are certain sequences of actions which lead to this I'd like to know what they are.

Matt

Quote from: WAS on February 20, 2020, 12:58:09 AMMainly when rendering I try to leave TG alone but sometimes I fiddle with ideas off to the side and will have a crash with unhooked shaders. I wonder if this is caused by using Up Level or other ques that make the RTP refresh while a render is going.

You cannot make changes to a project while a render is in progress. The render uses the same data that you're editing; it isn't copied and siloed. If you edit the scene, you change the render.

Ah, I see you were talking about separate, disconnected shaders. That is often OK, but it's a bit risky and I don't recommend it.

WAS

Yeah I figured it's definitely taboo.