Medieval Dutch village

Started by Dune, February 18, 2020, 02:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Thanks Martin. The client is pretty easy regarding light and such, only all stuff needs to be exact and on an exact location ('scientifically correct').

René

Does it have to be "photographic"? We have all become experts here in distinguishing real from render, so I wonder if someone with no experience can make that distinction, although you shouldn't underestimate that either. The cloud shadows are beautiful, they always make a landscape more interesting, especially in the Netherlands (I suppose this is in the netherlands). I think a little more fog on the horizon would indeed be better. Or maybe even a distant shower?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4a/d6/3e/4ad63e794a1ac72d26a3c0eebd6c4fa7.jpg

Dune

No, it doesn't but I would like it to be, at least try to convince myself that it is. The shower image is great, and indeed it did cross my mind. Seeing this makes me want to do just that! Thanks!

And yes, it is Dutch!

Tangled-Universe

Sorry if I caused confusion with mentioning "photographic".

In this context I did not mean "photoreal" as @René seems to refer to, instead I meant the way a photocamera would capture a scene under these lighting conditions.

WAS

I just noticed on a second look on my PC (often on my phone), and one thing I notice is the dead accents to trees is much too large. Creates PF style circular blobs of dead treee leaves on trees. I think whatever is driving that needs to be on a much smaller scale to mix in this colour variation amongst the green.

Dune

Dead accents to trees (too large), what do you mean by that?

Anyway, here's an update with some rain showers.

Hannes

The rain showers are a nice addition. Somehow they look a bit too bright, but that's just my impression.

Dune

I can try darker in due time, but it may depend on how thin they are, and lit by sun they would really lit up.

Tangled-Universe

Very nice Ulco, I like the slightly more contrasty lighting very much.
The rainshowers are a nice addition and I tend to agree with Hannes about their brightness.
With this type of lighting I'd expect them to look a bit darker, but another argument is that it might be slightly visually distracting if a few bright'ish elements are present at the horizon.
Did you use a fancy trick or just a thick cloud layer with some stretched noise on Y?

DocCharly65

Very nice new version!
... no more comment about the brightness of the rain showers from me ;D
I like that addition :)

Dune

No fancy trick ;)  Just a 10k restricted v2 cloud, stretched (Y=10) ridges, and warped (redirected over XZ). Cloud sizes 1000/2000/100 or so.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Ulco, that's indeed relatively straight forward!

sjefen

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB