Coverage and Surface Layer Effects

Started by WAS, February 28, 2020, 01:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I had a couple questions regarding surface layer effects.

Why does it seem there is no real fuzzy zone with favor depressions or favor rises? I can't seem to figure it out, always super hard edged mostly unless super vertical. Breakup seems either totally on or totally off on these zones too.

Second question, why does the coverage not work on these effects?

WAS

Seems the Fuzzy Zone issue is a combination of the coverage issue and breakup not working right, where it seems to be entirely breaking up colour (like set to 2).

Matt

When you use intersect underlying, the values of "Intersection shift" and "Min intersection shift" are very important. They control the result. Think of these as a range of altitudes. Coverage only modifies where the intersect sits within the range defined by "Intersection shift" (at coverage 1) and "Min intersection shift" (at coverage 0). If coverage is not having much effect, you need to give the "Min intersection shift" a much lower value (more negative). The larger the difference between these two values, the more flexible the effect it, and the more it allows coverage to affect the result.

This feature is difficult to explain and provide support for, but if you get a feel for how it works it can be useful sometimes.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Alright that sorta makes sense. I'll have to play around with it based on this information. It does have cool effects. Like if a terrain is smooth enough I guess (like Daniils eroded surfaces) you can get really nice flows going without the flows mask scalar.