Cloud follows terrain

Started by james adamson, February 23, 2020, 08:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: james adamson on February 24, 2020, 02:35:49 PMHey WAS. I took a look at your setup. Way beyond where I am at at the moment Terragen wise. Loads of nodes in there I have not gone near yet.
A good scene to unpick and work out.
Cheers.
James.
It's less complicated than it looks. The only thing that makes it look complicated is the soft clamps. However these functions are good to get familiar with for plateaus and stuff. Once the sections are added to function area we could discuss uses.

james adamson

Cool. Gonna get stuck in and see where I get to. I guess the hardest thing with Terragen is a lot of the functions sound kinda esoteric and there is no visual feedback to what function they are performing. The terrain stuff is making sense mostly, I guess I find a lot of the functions are a bit like doing carpentry in the shed with the lights off! Cept I get to keep all ma fingers.
Onward and upwards.

WAS

Quote from: james adamson on February 24, 2020, 02:52:03 PMI guess I find a lot of the functions are a bit like doing carpentry in the shed with the lights off! Cept I get to keep all ma fingers.
Onward and upwards.
Lol that's pretty much it. I struggle with math particularly so it's a struggle for me. Never hesitate to ask. We can always try to break a function down into examples to help give your brain something to compute when working with them.

james adamson

Nice one. Yeah maths is not my strong point, still I love the the software and what is achievable. At the risk of crossing threads here, when I asked about the final  position options, yes your setup was what prompted me to ask a question I had been meaning to for a while. It seems obvious and i was a bit afraid to ask
but I am not really up to speed on when you would or would not use world space or the other option. (Undisplaced space position in geometry.)
Cheers.
James.

james adamson

On the subject of your setup WAS? Could you tell me what the PI to scalar is doing? And also on the terrain section of your scene you have a compute terrain prior to your rocky surface surface layer, I get that but why have you chosen after the rocky surface surface layer to use terrain tex coords and not a compute terrian. Is that for computing efficiency?

WAS

We're multiplying the floor scalar, which I believe is 200 so about 628 is what is being fed from the multiply by PI. It was easier to quickly achieve what I wanted with it.

The Tex Coordinates is a remnant from lateral displacement that was removed before the Tex Coordinates. (See updated below) I have also noticed differences is the texture coordinates coming from the compute terrain lately. It offers a slightly different look than a normal Tex Coordinates, and I'm not sure why but it's been bothering me.

Update: Actually, there is the lateral and normal displacement in the file. See, when you add any displacement on top of the Compute Terrain it doesn't know about it. So we need to update the texture coordinates including are new alterations so that the colour shaders can apply to the new displacement additions to the terrain.